Pit Bull attacked my wife's German Shepherd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
How in the heck did all you guys manage to get bit?? And about the head and neck, too?? I was around what could only be called high risk dogs all my childhood and young adulthood, and have NEVER been bitten by a dog. Cats, though ... THAT'S a different story ... :grumble:
Good question. The dog that bit me knew me. I was in that yard with my friend playing on the swing set often. He was a bord dog too. It was weird.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If those pits show up again causing trouble then it's time for the three S's....shoot, shovel and shut up.

The grandmother said to shoot them if they do this again. I explained to her it goes hard on me to shoot a dog. Although I never came close to shooting the dog that attacked my wife's dog, I came real close to shooting the white pit yesterday. It was her call. She tried to come up on me from behind the poison ivy hedge, thinking I wasn't on to her game.

Must have been something in the water, I was bitten when I was 6 too. Stitches and dang near got my eye, another 1/2" and it would have. It was totally my fault and I had been told by my grandma not to ride him like a horse, but being a 6 year old kid I had to show her that I could do it. Poor dog had to be put down because it hadn't had it's rabies shot. Back then they could only check that on a dead animal, I think that's what they told me.

I pulled a stupid, too, when I was a kid. Trying to drop small rocks down my grandparent's German Shepherd's ears. Grandpa and Dub came running out of the milk barn with those tire rubber straps, beating that dog off of me.

How in the heck did all you guys manage to get bit?? And about the head and neck, too?? I was around what could only be called high risk dogs all my childhood and young adulthood, and have NEVER been bitten by a dog. Cats, though ... THAT'S a different story ... :grumble:

You were the good girl, and did not pester those dogs. Kids do dumb things with dogs.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I remember two incidents with children in Ada when I was there, both horrific. Both were rottweilers, as well, another breed I have no love for.

I've never met an aggressive rottweiler. Every one I've ever met has been sweet enough to give you lock jaw. I've seen one run away from an AKC registered Maltese, but I've never seen an aggressive one.

Similar to your story, spring of last year two of the neighbors dogs (pitt bull mixes) jumped my fence and attempted to kill the family Great Pyrenees, he held his own while i went to get the neighbor, in between me knocking on their door and coming back my dog had been pinned, so i shot the biggest most aggressive of the two. once he went down the other ran off, told the neighbor to carry hers away, took mine, Harvey to the vet, on the way notified PD as a courtesy, and to have an official file in case legal actions were ever thought up by someone, and since im in a neighborhood. Poor Harvey was never the same after, and ended up breaking his neck while tied to a ground post (an auger into the ground and cable, both meant for big dogs) looking back only thing id do different is shoot the neighbors dogs as soon as the fight started, maybe damage to my dog would have been avoided. but at the time i looked he seemed to have it under control.

Our biggest problem with the neighbors dogs are that we have a small child who is always playing in the back yard, if their two dogs would attack my (75-80lb) dog why would they be afraid of a 30lb girl?

I had a Great Pyrenees mix growing up. We had two, actually, (brother and sister) but the girl died of heart worm when she was 2 years old. Before she passed, they used to run around the area beating up on coyotes. We wound up chaining them to keep them safe from neighbors' guns, although neither of them ever got shot at by a neighbor so far as I know, we just did it as a precaution. Having seen what mine could handle, I'm not surprised yours held his own against a couple of pit bulls for a bit. Unfortunately, my Pyr passed 8 years ago. The coyotes have been getting thicker and thicker ever since.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, you might want to hold off calling the sheriff. Any responsible gun owner knows that shooting a round in the air results in a round coming back down. Hopefully you didn't put a hole in someone's roof and someone's child didn't die from the round penetrating their head.

Next time, shoot the damn dog or shoot into the ground.

Lurker, lots of folks think a round fired straight up comes down at a similar speed, but physics disagrees. It comes down at terminal velocity, and can raise a good welt. Think of it as a lead hailstone. I have met several small town police officers who think a straight up shot can kill when it comes down, and I guess if it hit the soft spot on an infant's head it might, but that's pretty unlikely.

Some of us got to shooting straight up with 7 1/2 dove loads several years ago. When we were able to actually shoot vertically, it was very much like sleet.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Lurker, lots of folks think a round fired straight up comes down at a similar speed, but physics disagrees. It comes down at terminal velocity, and can raise a good welt. Think of it as a lead hailstone. I have met several small town police officers who think a straight up shot can kill when it comes down, and I guess if it hit the soft spot on an infant's head it might, but that's pretty unlikely.

Some of us got to shooting straight up with 7 1/2 dove loads several years ago. When we were able to actually shoot vertically, it was very much like sleet.
A .45 acp would hurt more than 7 shot for sure but I'll kiss your ass if it would kill someone falling straight down.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was bit by a poodle when I was little. Bit in the face by an Afghan when I was around 16 and had my wrist bit so hard that it broke it when I was 18. My Rottweiler got into a fight and when I tried to grab hid face to pull him back, he bit the chit out of me. That was my fault, because I knew better then to get in the middle.
I have been snapped by a couple of dogs that I tried to catch for the rescues, but they were only "I'm scared" bites.
My son was bite on the arm by a young pit. He was attacked by two labs at a shelter he was volunteering at. They tore the back of his leg up. If I can find the pics, I will post them. Those two were put down by the shelter.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

A .45 acp would hurt more than 7 shot for sure but I'll kiss your ass if it would kill someone falling straight down.

I think what alarmed so many people is that they thought I lived in the suburbs of OKC or Tulsa, and started busting caps into the air in a heavy population center. I had not specified that I live out in the middle of nowhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom