Pit Bull attacked my wife's German Shepherd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My folks have a 175 lb English mastiff... luckily she thinks she's a tiny kitten and is afraid of everything, including her shadow. If she ever figured out she could destroy anyone or anything in the neighborhood, it could be ugly. lol

Ha! Thats my guard dog Odie:

He wants to be a lap dog so badly!

IMG_0631.JPG

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just entering the gate to my friends back yard on the side of his house. I shut the gate turned and tripped and fell and when I sat up the dog attacked. This was not even a guard dog, it was a spaniel of some sort. The neighbor was right there on the other side of the 4' chain link fence and he reached over and pulled the dog off quickly. It happened fast and I never even knew I had gashes all over my head until they took me inside, put a wet cloth on my face and I asked for a mirror. When I saw all the blood I freaked out (I was only 5-6). Dr. Sylverstine (sp) who is now one of the top plastic surgeons in the state was just starting out then and worked in the ER. He sewed me up and you cant see any scares today.

Gee whiz! Glad he got that dog off you! Glad everything worked out good, too.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: Wife just got off the phone with the vet. He wants to keep the dog one more day, says the dog is doing better, but wants him to walk without collapsing. What he had told me yesterday was that he suspects nerve damage in that right front leg, but that often the nerves will heal themselves to some extent. We are getting him a place ready in the living room where the short haired dachshund stays. He will need to be house broken, and that will be easier with an adult dog like him, who knows the meaning of "No!" than it would be with a puppy.

Glad to hear he's gonna be alright. That dachshund will show him what's what.

Jango8753

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Similar to your story, spring of last year two of the neighbors dogs (pitt bull mixes) jumped my fence and attempted to kill the family Great Pyrenees, he held his own while i went to get the neighbor, in between me knocking on their door and coming back my dog had been pinned, so i shot the biggest most aggressive of the two. once he went down the other ran off, told the neighbor to carry hers away, took mine, Harvey to the vet, on the way notified PD as a courtesy, and to have an official file in case legal actions were ever thought up by someone, and since im in a neighborhood. Poor Harvey was never the same after, and ended up breaking his neck while tied to a ground post (an auger into the ground and cable, both meant for big dogs) looking back only thing id do different is shoot the neighbors dogs as soon as the fight started, maybe damage to my dog would have been avoided. but at the time i looked he seemed to have it under control.

Our biggest problem with the neighbors dogs are that we have a small child who is always playing in the back yard, if their two dogs would attack my (75-80lb) dog why would they be afraid of a 30lb girl?

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad to hear he's gonna be alright. That dachshund will show him what's what.

Thanks. Man, it is hot outside today. I just finished pulling the blades on the mower so I can sharpen them. Anyway, I went further into this earlier today and found out more about the Pit Bulls. The one who attacked my dog actually belongs to someone else, and my neighbor is taking care of him, per se I guess. But I have not seen that dog since this happened. That person is a minor, so I spoke with his grandmother, since his mom is not available right now. The white pit belongs to his sister, who is adult and out of town. The gist I'm getting is that the dogs are running free because there is no one to take care of them. I spoke with the grandmother, my wife and I did. And she is the nicest person in the world. I felt bad about doing this, but I feel like if I didn't, and a child got killed, it would weigh heavily on my conscious. She is getting relatives to help her chain the dogs; I begged her not to attempt this by herself - to come and get me to help, if no one was available. I hope I am covering all of the bases; the fence gate, restraint, Law Enforcement notification, and informing the grandmother of what is going on. Now, it is time to go back outside, into the inferno...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Must have been something in the water, I was bitten when I was 6 too. Stitches and dang near got my eye, another 1/2" and it would have. It was totally my fault and I had been told by my grandma not to ride him like a horse, but being a 6 year old kid I had to show her that I could do it. Poor dog had to be put down because it hadn't had it's rabies shot. Back then they could only check that on a dead animal, I think that's what they told me.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How in the heck did all you guys manage to get bit?? And about the head and neck, too?? I was around what could only be called high risk dogs all my childhood and young adulthood, and have NEVER been bitten by a dog. Cats, though ... THAT'S a different story ... :grumble:

Latest posts

Top Bottom