Places that are off limits for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Liqour stores do not sell for on premise consumption, no staute against it. You're GTG when you swing by to pick up a bottle of your favorite hooch before going out getting drunk and shooting up rural stop signs with your concealed weapon.

guntera

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello Everone! I'm new to this Association so I'm not real sure how to find all my questions. So here it goes...Does anyone know where I could get an updated list or some idea where you cannot take your concealed weapon? I'm stepping up to the plate and I'm taking my Concealed Weapons course this coming Saturday, so I just want to learn as much as possible about it. Thanks!

dave_peace

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello Everone! I'm new to this Association so I'm not real sure how to find all my questions. So here it goes...Does anyone know where I could get an updated list or some idea where you cannot take your concealed weapon? I'm stepping up to the plate and I'm taking my Concealed Weapons course this coming Saturday, so I just want to learn as much as possible about it. Thanks!

They teach you exactly in the class where you can and can't carry. and if they don't, i bet they will tell you if you ask..

but in short.. no schools, government (local, state, or federal) buildings, places where alcohol is 51% of that establishment's income ( bars, Eskimo joes after 10pm), or any place that has a "no guns" sticker on the door (some gas stations).

Other than that, I think its pretty much up to you if you want to carry inside buildings, I'm not sure if hospitals are legal, but i do know that banks in Oklahoma are legal unless posted otherwise.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They teach you exactly in the class where you can and can't carry. and if they don't, i bet they will tell you if you ask..

but in short.. no schools, government (local, state, or federal) buildings, places where alcohol is 51% of that establishment's income ( bars, Eskimo joes after 10pm), or any place that has a "no guns" sticker on the door (some gas stations).

Other than that, I think its pretty much up to you if you want to carry inside buildings, I'm not sure if hospitals are legal, but i do know that banks in Oklahoma are legal unless posted otherwise.

Others will chime in I'm sure, but it is always best to refer to the SDA code.

You might check your facts on the items I bolded.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have a question, the "no guns" sticker was brought up in my class, but he wasn't very clear as to whether we needed to heed it or not, he specifically gave a scenario at a movie theater where he said he ignored the sign.

Also, is carrying in a bank, assuming no sign, legal, I mean, you're positive on that? How exactly does the "posted" thing come into play, would it be considered trespassing?

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Banks = Legal. That's one place I always want to be carrying, so I do. BOK doesn't have any signs, but some banks in Tulsa do. Seems like I heard that F&M was anti-gun.

Posting a sign is a business owners right. If you carry into some business that has a no-guns sign, and someone see's your gun, they can ask you to leave. If you don't, then it's trespassing. Just remember, concealed means concealed. If they can't see it, they will never know.

IDtheTarget

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question, the "no guns" sticker was brought up in my class, but he wasn't very clear as to whether we needed to heed it or not, he specifically gave a scenario at a movie theater where he said he ignored the sign.

Then he is guilty of a misdemeanor and if caught can be fined and have his license suspended. The fundamental law in this state is that it is illegal to carry a weapon, with the exception that if you are licensed under the SDA, you are authorized to carry provided you do so in a way authorized by the SDA. If you are carrying in violation of the SDA, then the underlying law applies and you have broken the law.

(Note that, in case people were to claim that this is not the case, subsection 4 of the SDA specifically states:

As provided by Section 1272 of Title 21 of the Oklahoma Statutes, it is unlawful for any person to carry a concealed handgun in this state, except as hereby authorized by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 25 of this act, or as may otherwise be provided by law.

The relevant law is Oklahoma Statutes Title 21 Section 1272 Unlawful Carry, which reads:

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;

2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act (emphasis mine);

3. The carrying, possession and use of any weapon by a peace officer or other person authorized by law to carry a weapon in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules of the employing agency;

4. The carrying or use of weapons in a courthouse by a district judge, associate district judge or special district judge within this state, who is in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and whose name appears on a list maintained by the Administrative Director of the Courts; or

5. The carrying and use of firearms and other weapons provided in this subsection when used for the purpose of living history reenactment. For purposes of this paragraph, "living history reenactment" means depiction of historical characters, scenes, historical life or events for entertainment, education, or historical documentation through the wearing or use of period, historical, antique or vintage clothing, accessories, firearms, weapons, and other implements of the historical period.

B. Any person convicted of violating the foregoing provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as provided in Section 1276 of this title.

Oklahoma Statute Title 21 Section 1276 Penalty for Violation reads:
Any person violating the provisions of Section 1272 or 1273 shall, upon a first conviction, be adjudged guilty of a misdemeanor and the party offending shall be punished by a fine of not less than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) nor more than Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00), or by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed thirty (30) days or both such fine and imprisonment. On the second and every subsequent violation, the party offending shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of not less than Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not less than thirty (30) days nor more than three (3) months, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Any person convicted of violating the provisions of Section 1272 or 1273 after having been issued a concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 25 of this act, shall have the license suspended for a period of six (6) months and shall be liable for an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00) upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.

Note that SDA license holders are actually liable for both paragraphs above. You'll be convicted of a misdemeanor, fined $100 - $250 for the misdemeanor, then fined an additional $50 fine and lose your license for six months. For the first offense.

If you keep doing this, the OSBI can decide to permanently revoke your right to have the license for 8. Significant character defects of the applicant as evidenced by a misdemeanor criminal record indicating habitual criminal activity;

I am not a lawyer. However, I have spoken with a few on this issue, and each has affirmed my reading of the statues.

In my (not so) humble opinion, whoever told you to ignore the signs is an idiot, and exactly the type of criminal who shouldn't be allowed to wear a gun. I don't frequent places I'm not allowed to carry. If I absolutely MUST enter (like the post office), then I leave my gun in the car. Period.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see how trespassing is SDA violation.

I'm no lawyer - but after studying the SDA statistics reports it is clear that for suspension occures only in case of violated preclusion listed in SDA.

Everything else should fall under Section 1290.7 - Limitations of License:
The authority to carry a concealed handgun pursuant to a valid handgun license as authorized by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 25 of this act, shall not be construed to authorize any person to:
2. Carry or possess any pistol in any manner or in any place otherwise prohibited by law;

I guess if posting a sign automatically makes it a law - I am way wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom