Plastic P-Mags VS Aluminum GI Mags for AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P-Mags VS Aluminum mags for AR rifle

• P-Mags

Votes: 67 80.7%
  • Aluminum

Votes: 16 19.3%

• Total voters

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10Seconds said:
I used to not think I would ever prefer the pmags but I do now. I have sold off most of my old GI mags and got magpuls now

You did this because all the cool Kids do this or because you were influenced by
Internet chatter?

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dennishoddy said:
Well, I have experienced aluminum mags at a soldiers level.
The mags one gets in the military in my era were in really poor shape, and it was rare that you got to keep the same mags for your tour. You grabbed what was in the pile, loaded them with 19, and went out on patrol. There was no such thing as mag maintenance unless it was full of mud. If they were, find a mud hole and rinse them out. We had a lot of malfunctions, some from the gun, some from the mags. The conditions were not conducive to proper gun maintenance.
Current time.
My buddy's sons Unit was deployed to Afghanistan
He was a SAW operator. Having been raised by a dad that retired from the Army after a 20 year career as a drill Sargent, he knew the importance of mag maintenance. He was experiencing so many malfunctions that dad bought aluminum mags from Brownells and sent them across the pond. His malfunction rate went way down.

It is damn near criminal that all of our GIs are not equipped with PMAGs. It's not like they cost hardly any more than the aluminum mags and every soldier is worth far more than the $3 difference per mag.

carready

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
OAS Sponsor
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After all the patrol rifle schools I have taught we always had problems with bent feed lips on the GI mags. We change them out to Pmags and no more issues at all. On occasion there might be one Pmag that might not drop free. But that is the only issue I have ever seen with them.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aluminum mags with anti-tilt followers are usable. However, it's all P-mags for me.

The one thing I notice that gives P-mags it's reliability is how high it sits in the magwell. The bullets (even the last round) is fed up higher into the chamber, which results in less failure to feed malfunctions. With good P-mags, you almost don't need M4 cut outs in the upper receiver because the rounds will always feed above the upper receiver and the tip of the bullet is pushed right into the barrel extension. This is not true with all aluminum mags, especially if it does not have anti-tilt followers. The problem is worse if you're down to the last few rounds, where spring tension is less. Also adding to the problem is that aluminum mags are looser in the magwell and have a little bit of play. If you're the type of person who grips by the magwell, pulling on the mag promotes the bullet tip into nose diving right into the upper receiver about right where the M4 cutouts or right into the seam where the m4 cutouts and barrel extension meet.

A good test is if you have a rifle with mismatched feed ramps where you have regular rifle barrel extension mated with an upper with m4 feedramps. This mismatch causes a shelf or pocket right where the barrel extension and upper receiver meets. Use an aluminum mag and your last few rounds will almost always nosedive right into the m4 cut outs into upper receiver and the bullet tip will nose dive right into that pocket/shelf in between the upper receiver and barrel extension seam is located. 9 times out of 10, just racking the charging handle and trying to chamber a bullet would fail, because the bullet will nose dive into this pocket. This caused a failure to feed and deform the nose. I also noticed that after shooting, there was a lot of brass shavings caused by rounds jamming into that shelf, but were still able to chamber. This most certainly caused a deformed bullet and accuracy suffered. However, with a P-mag, the rifle fired as if there was no issues at all. The P-mag fed the round above the mismatched barrel extension / m4 cutout seam and cycled like a champ.

That rifle has since been corrected with a new barrel with the correct m4 barrel extension that mates perfectly well with the m4 cutouts in the upper receiver. Even crappy aluminum mags feed now, but it certainly was a good discovery on the feeding mechanics of a rifle and just how important mags are. That whole episode sold me completely on P-Mags. The snug fit in the magwell and high bullet feed directly into the barrel extension, negating almost the entire need for m4 cutouts in the upper receiver really gave me an insight as to why PMags are just so reliable and runs so well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom