Plastic P-Mags VS Aluminum GI Mags for AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P-Mags VS Aluminum mags for AR rifle

• P-Mags

Votes: 67 80.7%
  • Aluminum

Votes: 16 19.3%

• Total voters

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This happened during a rifle match at USSA in Tulsa. Double-feed city after it broke. I ALWAYS carry a spare mag on me now, which I did here too as this was the spare mag.

[Broken External Image]

I still prefer PMAGS to GI mags.
A quality GI is just as good if kept clean. If dusty and using steel cased ammo, forget about it.

Been thinking about switching to Lancer mags. See through, steel feedlips, still ATAS like PMAGs. A little more pricey.

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never used Pmags although I know a lot who used them overseas and they all loved them. Me however, I have only used GI mags with Magpull followers for the last 10 years overseas.
If I have a mag that will not feed or drop free, it gets crushed so nobody will ever use it again. Keep good magpul followers, good springs, and mag semi clean and it will work just fine. I have never had a problem with dropping GI mags on the concrete causing them to not function, lots of firefights in urban conditions and dropped more mags from the well on hard surfaces than I can count, not once do I remember that causing a mag to go bad.
Could the GI mag be made better?? You bet it can, maybe the PMag is it.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I voted GI aluminum...mostly because I've used 'em for decades and have a closet full. I do own Pmags...but by sheer volume and experience the GI Aluminum win out.

As far as getting damaged when dropping...I've dropped a ton and never experienced much drama. As far as dropping on the deck in a combat situation...I don't expect to recover them in that situation anyway so I don't care if they bend, break, or turn to dust.

Last edited:

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I drop things on the deck in a combat situation, it is totally ATAS because it is always a PMAG. And I always wear cool sunglasses when I'm in a combat situation, so I can win.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For $12 a pop why would you have anything else! I understand if you had GI for years, but personally if I was buying new...Pmags all the way...

Latest posts

Top Bottom