Plastic P-Mags VS Aluminum GI Mags for AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P-Mags VS Aluminum mags for AR rifle

• P-Mags

Votes: 67 80.7%
  • Aluminum

Votes: 16 19.3%

• Total voters

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CMMG Steel Immortal 42rd battle mags, CMMG Alum. Immortal 27 rd mags, CMMG Alum. Immortal 20 rd mags, Brownell Teflon-coated aluminum mags with the tan anti-tilt followers (restricted, only for DoD at this time) in that order. No P-Mags.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy's sons Unit was deployed to Afghanistan
He was a SAW operator. Having been raised by a dad that retired from the Army after a 20 year career as a drill Sargent, he knew the importance of mag maintenance. He was experiencing so many malfunctions that dad bought aluminum mags from Brownells and sent them across the pond. His malfunction rate went way down.

I just noticed this dennis.

If the son in question was regularly using M16 magazines in his SAW...it's no wonder he experienced malfunctions. The SAW will run on rifle mags, but it's not designed to be the primary source of feed. The SAW tears the crap out of the lips......

Big50

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I have experienced aluminum mags at a soldiers level.
The mags one gets in the military in my era were in really poor shape, and it was rare that you got to keep the same mags for your tour. You grabbed what was in the pile, loaded them with 19, and went out on patrol. There was no such thing as mag maintenance unless it was full of mud. If they were, find a mud hole and rinse them out. We had a lot of malfunctions, some from the gun, some from the mags. The conditions were not conducive to proper gun maintenance.
Current time.
My buddy's sons Unit was deployed to Afghanistan
He was a SAW operator. Having been raised by a dad that retired from the Army after a 20 year career as a drill Sargent, he knew the importance of mag maintenance. He was experiencing so many malfunctions that dad bought aluminum mags from Brownells and sent them across the pond. His malfunction rate went way down.
Well I guess your right and the other 85% are wrong!!

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CMMG Steel Immortal 42rd battle mags, CMMG Alum. Immortal 27 rd mags, CMMG Alum. Immortal 20 rd mags, Brownell Teflon-coated aluminum mags with the tan anti-tilt followers (restricted, only for DoD at this time) in that order. No P-Mags.

The world is definitely coming to an end soon. Mark and I agree on something.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
good newish GI aluminum mags with a cmmg steel follower and cmmg's coil wound springs (in other words, the immortal mags) are the absolute best thing out there. I keep an eye on where the back of the feedlips meet the spine and watch for cracks. Ill rotate old beat up bodies out of my mag stash about every 1-1.5 years. No other AR magazine out there has the spring pressure, the internal low-resistance , and the resistance to dirt mud and grime that these do. Why are pmags popular? because they usually work fine, they look cool, and my buddy has em.

I spent most of 2010 burning up AR barrels and I tried and used pmags, a lot. beat the **** out of them, mistreated them, used em, and they hid their faults and wear. they dont look bad, but issues will ghost up on you.

Im posting this here not to get into an argument with someone who paints their AR rollmarks, just giving you an opinion. For what its worth.

by the way, the newest and bestest pmags will be available this summer; they must have found something wrong with those awesome ones out there now.

Better start saving up, boys! Magpul needs a new beard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom