Please school me, I'm still learning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does everyone feel about the Beretta 92FS 9mm, I believe they had some of those last time I was in the Police supply up on Admiral that were Police turn-in's. If I remember correctly they were priced under $200 with 2 magazines all in used condition.

I would also seriously consider something like that as long as there is nothing wrong with buying used Police turn-in's. I wish my uncle Larry was still alive to help me pick. He was a OHP Captain & competition shooter, definetly knew his way around pistols.

I would buy 1/2 dozen at that price. The 92 is a great gun and the trigger can be lightened by about 1/2 with a $5 spring and almost no mechanical skills.

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my 4" XD40, most fun gun I've ever had. Took my mom to the range with it the other day and she is not a gun fan at all, but I taught her how to operate it and she did great. It was her first time shooting a pistol and the first shot kinda surprised her but after that the recoil was fine and she said she actually had alot of fun. Never thought my mom would soften up to guns but she isn't afraid of them anymore like she used to be.

BTW Big Mike what ever happened to WS6ZXR?

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in your position about 25 years ago. If I had to do it over again I would buy a full service pistol or revolver that my wife liked. I mean I would let her pick the gun without telling if was her gun. You can probably adapt to any gun, but she may not be able to adapt to some guns. A prime example is a Beretta 92FS. I saw several women who just could not qualify with one. I'm not putting down 92FS. I own two of them. I would not even suggest to her anything with a double action first shot except a revolver. I would only suggest an "L" frame sized revolver for her first gun. After you get that first purchase out of the way buy the gun you really want.

nativenightmare

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my wife a sigma 9mm The trigger pull was so hard for her she could barely fire it, let alone hit the target. After a lot of trial and dollars she found a pistol she loves, its the XD40 4 inch barrel. The XDs grip is awesome for smaller hands like hers.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes the sigma does have a hard trigger pull. My wife has never shot mine and I dont think she would like to,but then shes really not much into guns, not afraid of them, but just not one of her main intrests. For her a 38 revolver is her choice,Anyway another item that could be an issue is, can the lady in question rack the slide? Does anyone own a Taurus 24/7? It seems to me ,the slide is easier pull on it than,say,the sigma and some others,but just my opinion.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you found a 92FS for that price, BUY IT! It is the pistol we used in the Marines and never had a problem with it. Incredibly accurate, never had a malfunction, and wasn't bad to carry (in a thigh righ anyways). Lots of people complain about the thumb safety on the slide, but with a little training you can manipulate it without thought. I used it several times in theatre and not once did it slow me down. I highly recomend it! If you want a .40, i belive the model is a 96....not positive though.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I'm gonna hold off a little while on buying a full size semi-auto. For now me & the wife have just decided to grab a Browning Buckmark Camper for her to get comfortable shooting.

I'll pick up a XD9 around tax time most likely. Needing one for HD isnt really a must have right now. So the Browning will save me money on ammo while getting her used to shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom