Poll about allowing suppressors for hunting purposes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allow suppressors in Oklahoma for hunting purposes

• Yes allow suppressors for hunting purposes

Votes: 254 84.1%
  • No don't allow suppressors for hunting purposes

Votes: 48 15.9%

• Total voters

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
voted yes.

Are there any people here who shoot larger, .223 and greater, calibers with suppressors? Do you buy or reload? How much suppression to you get? Would be good to hear from you guys too.

I do own a .22 rimfire suppressor. I shoot it often, maybe a hundred rounds a mounth. Doubt I'll shoot enough over my life to wear it out. If I was a target shooter who shot several hundred or more rounds a month, then maybe, but I don't.

Would be nice/fun to shoot coyotes, rabbits, squirrels, etc... without running off everything else within a mile away.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
voted yes.
Are there any people here who shoot larger, .223 and greater, calibers with suppressors? Do you buy or reload? How much suppression to you get? Would be good to hear from you guys too.

I do own a .22 rimfire suppressor. I shoot it often, maybe a hundred rounds a mounth. Doubt I'll shoot enough over my life to wear it out. If I was a target shooter who shot several hundred or more rounds a month, then maybe, but I don't.

Would be nice/fun to shoot coyotes, rabbits, squirrels, etc... without running off everything else within a mile away.

I have a Knight's Armament suppressor I have shot on a MSTN upper with 18" barrel and Noveske switchblock and a LMT 10.5" upper. With the 18" barrel and suppressor, it was about as loud as a .22 to my ears. You could hear the "sproing" of the buffer spring very easily from shooting the rifle. With the 10.5" LMT upper, it is kind of a different story. The thing is pretty freaking loud with such a short barrel, especially if you are shooting under a roof that reflects noise. With the suppressor, it is quieter than a standard AR15 but definitely will say it is not hearing safe. Now bear in mind this is with full-powered ammo as I have not tried to load any subsonic ammo.

I do have a 308 suppressor pending transfer but do not have any plans to load subsonic ammo for my bolt rifle at this time. I am just hoping to quiet the gun down some and reduce a little of the recoil. After 100+ rounds from the prone position in one session, my collar bone area gets a little sensitive!! :haay::cry3::rotflmao:

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Knight's Armament suppressor I have shot on a MSTN upper with 18" barrel and Noveske switchblock and a LMT 10.5" upper. With the 18" barrel and suppressor, it was about as loud as a .22 to my ears. You could hear the "sproing" of the buffer spring very easily from shooting the rifle. With the 10.5" LMT upper, it is kind of a different story. The thing is pretty freaking loud with such a short barrel, especially if you are shooting under a roof that reflects noise. With the suppressor, it is quieter than a standard AR15 but definitely will say it is not hearing safe. Now bear in mind this is with full-powered ammo as I have not tried to load any subsonic ammo.

I do have a 308 suppressor pending transfer but do not have any plans to load subsonic ammo for my bolt rifle at this time. I am just hoping to quiet the gun down some and reduce a little of the recoil. After 100+ rounds from the prone position in one session, my shoulder blade area gets a little sensitive!! :haay::cry3::rotflmao:

My shoulder blade didn't get sore, but my collar bone did. :P

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting post over on the hometown section at Ar15.com by the author of the bill. Evidently, the bill is only intended for suppressor use on private land and anyone who is hunting on the private land with permission of the land owner. I have quoted his post for those who don't go over on that forum.

1st post said:
There has been a lot of stir lately about my SB 1257, Suppressed hunting Bill. The press (ever so gun friendly) has done a hatchet job. NPR has even taken note. Here is the truth about it.

I had a constituent in Canadian County that owns land and had a varmint problem so he took his rifle and took care of it. Next thing you know, here comes the Deputy Sheriff. Now the deputy did nothing but the property owner asks what prompted the call. It was a 'neighbor.'

As Oklahoma City continues to grow to the Kansas border and the Red River, a lot of land is getting swallowed up. Land owners that retain their land for generations are now finding 500 of their closest friends springing up in subdivisions within ear shot of their property or even bordering it. As land becomes an issue, having a person secure in his 2nd and 4th Amendment rights must be addressed now while there is time to think it through.

States in New England have suppressed hunting laws because they understand the need to allow land use but also recognize the need not to 'spook the natives' in communities nearby. Europe is replete with similar laws, even in unfriendly gun places like the UK and Germany. Our own state and fed wildlife agents made sure the law allows them to hunt or harvest with suppressors for that very reason.

What my bill will do is allow land owners, their guests, and anyone they authorize to be on their land to hunt with a suppressor as long as it meets all other NFA and State hunting laws.

What most people don't realize (except here of course) is that Bubba cannot go to Walmart and buy a box of 'silencers' and then he will be free to poach and trespass. Nonsense. The $200 tax stamp, the expense to purchase a suppressor to actually dampen the sound on a high power rifle, and the risk of losing his 2nd Amendment rights preclude such behavior from those possessing suppressors. In fact, I have yet to find any incident to date where a legal suppressor has been used to illegal hunt or poach in Oklahoma. Ever.

What I am not advocating is hunting with suppressors on anything but private land as this bill is designed to protect land owners and their property. If we are not secure in speech, belief, assembly, bearing arms and property, we are no longer free or American. That is the basis of the bill. Thought I would post it here as many rural folks have been given misleading info by the press and others, leading them to somehow think that this would open up trespassers on their property.

So, for your enjoyment, there it is. Steve

2nd post said:
You are correct that the current language only makes a strikethrough. The language about land owners will be submitted in a committee substitute. The bill's intent for me has always been a 4th Amendment issue as well as a 2nd Amendment issue. In that context, it will focus on the freedom of land owners to use their land as they see fit. Public hunting land, while I agree could benefit from the bill, may be something we have to negotiate.

We are attempting to set up a demonstration for the senate members within the next week or two. Any of you wishing to aid the cause through testimony or other may contact me through my senate office at the capitol: Steve Russell, Senate Distr. 45 405-521-5618. This bill, which is mine, will likely be heard in the last week of Feb. Thanks for the great feedback thus far. Keep it coming if you have a voice on this issue. Steve

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to get to shoot a supressed .22 at the Charity shoot. Using hi velocity ammo, there was just a pffft, and the ding of the bullet hitting the steel. Pretty impressive.:D:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom