Poll: Marijuana Law Reform

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you support allowing physician-authorized patients to consume therapeutic cannabis

• yes

Votes: 278 79.7%
  • no

Votes: 71 20.3%

• Total voters

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tapping Medical Marijuana’s Potential

Marijuana has been used medically, recreationally and spiritually for about 5,000 years. Known botanically as cannabis, it has been called a “crude drug”: marijuana contains more than 400 chemicals from 18 chemical families. More than 2,000 compounds are released when it is smoked, and as with tobacco, there are dangers in smoking it.

Medical marijuana clinics operate in 20 states and the District of Columbia, and its recreational use is now legal in Colorado and Washington. A Gallup poll conducted last month found that 58 percent of Americans support the legalization of marijuana.

Yet researchers have been able to do relatively little to test its most promising ingredients for biological activity, safety and side effects. The main reason is marijuana’s classification by Congress in 1970 as an illegal Schedule I drug, defined as having a potential for abuse and addiction and no medical value.

American scientists seeking clarification of marijuana’s medical usefulness have long been stymied by this draconian classification, usually reserved for street drugs like heroin with a high potential for abuse.

Dr. J. Michael Bostwick, a psychiatrist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., said the classification was primarily political and ignored more than 40 years of scientific research, which has shown that cellular receptors for marijuana’s active ingredients are present throughout the body. Natural substances called cannabinoids bind to them to influence a wide range of body processes.

In a lengthy report entitled “Blurred Boundaries: The Therapeutics and Politics of Medical Marijuana,” published last year in Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Dr. Bostwick noted that the so-called endocannabinoid system has an impact on the “autonomic nervous system, immune system, gastrointestinal tract, reproductive system, cardiovascular system and endocrine network.”

There is evidence that several common disorders, including epilepsy, alcoholism and post-traumatic stress disorder, involve disruptions in the endocannabinoid system, suggesting that those patients might benefit from marijuana or its ingredients.

The strongest evidence for the health benefits of medical marijuana or its derivatives involves the treatment of chronic neuropathic pain and the spasticity caused by multiple sclerosis. Medical marijuana is widely recognized as effective against nausea and appetite loss caused by chemotherapy, although better treatments are now available. But preliminary research and anecdotal reports have suggested that marijuana might be useful in treating a number of other conditions, including irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, glaucoma, migraine, cancer growth, abnormal heart rhythms, Alzheimer’s disease, fibromyalgia, incontinence, bacterial infections, osteoporosis, intense itching, Tourette’s syndrome and sleep apnea.

“Medical experts emphasize the need to reclassify marijuana as a Schedule II drug to facilitate rigorous scientific evaluation of the potential therapeutic benefits of cannabinoids and to determine the optimal dose and delivery route for conditions in which efficacy is established,” Diane E. Hoffmann and Ellen Weber, legal experts at the University of Maryland, wrote in The New England Journal of Medicine.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/04/tapping-medical-marijuanas-potential/

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wondering :
How many people on here are druggies, used to be so, have friends or close family that are , or would if it were legal ,And you could pay a tax for it?

Any takers?

I know those in recovery dont want to out themselves, so just make a smart remark, and I'll know

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm a little beneath you rn, I thought more of you.......

What can I say, I am bored with this debate. I am not going to change your minds and you are not going to change mine, and it is no worse then all the medical post when for 95% of you that is a complete strawman.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ihave family that would benefit from medical marijuana. a niece taking a chemotherapy pill for an autoimmune disease, the pill is causing bloating,loss of appetite, hair breakage and loss, and skin issues. it is carcinogenic. it, and an injected version that is easier on the stomach but harder on everything else, are the only legal treatment other than pain management, which would do nothing but slightly numb her as her ligaments and tendons dissolve and she becomes more and more crippled. CBD oil would be a nice alternative to try before tearing a child apart in the hopes the child doesn't tear herself apart, or at least use as a supplement to manage pain and maintain an appetite.

my father is a cancer survivor, after his surgery, he had no appetite, and unbearable pain for 6 months. continued losing weight, a little cannabis could have helped him manage his pain and appetite, without so many harsh chemicals pouring through his beaten down body. cannabis treatment could have put his tumor into remission without the removal of organs, forcing him to urinate into a ziploc bag taped fo his side the rest of his life.

my little brother has just been put on a medicine for rheumatoid arthritis, which can cause intestinal disorders, headaches, tinnitus, and chest pain, when cannabis could treat him with few to zero adverse effects.

i have family with crohn's disease who could benefit from medical cannabis, with few to zero adverse health effects.

medical cannabis is no strawman for me, or my family.

Latest posts

Top Bottom