Precious Metal stacking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll say it again. GOLD is a store of wealth. As the people lose confidence in the government, and inflation runs high, gold and silver go up in value. The object is to keep part of your wealth in gold to balance (offset) the loss of purchasing power of the dollar. When gold was $35 you could buy a really nice suit for an ounce of gold. Today you can still buy a really nice suit for an ounce of gold, but you can’t buy one for $35. Gold has kept pace with purchasing power. Dollar, not so much. If you don’t get it now, wait a few more months, it will become clear.
I think it’s good and clear now, gold is $2528. 70. Some say buy stock, stocks have been known to crash and everything is lost but I never heard of gold crashing.

Veritas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it’s good and clear now, gold is $2528. 70. Some say buy stock, stocks have been known to crash and everything is lost but I never heard of gold crashing.
It depends on the timeline you look at, look at gold January 2011 at $1850 per ounce and then look just 5 years later January 2016 at $1,150. You’d feel like an idiot buying and selling then same for cherry picking stock dates.

It’s also not particularly transferable and you take a bit hit on the buying and selling spread. I own physical gold and silver as a hedge against apocalypsic events but it is a very small percentage of my net worth and definitely not an investment for retirement in the 99.9999% of regular times. Stocks just consistently have always performed gold unless you cherry pick the time frames.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on the timeline you look at, look at gold January 2011 at $1850 per ounce and then look just 5 years later January 2016 at $1,150. You’d feel like an idiot buying and selling then same for cherry picking stock dates.

It’s also not particularly transferable and you take a bit hit on the buying and selling spread. I own physical gold and silver as a hedge against apocalypsic events but it is a very small percentage of my net worth and definitely not an investment for retirement in the 99.9999% of regular times. Stocks just consistently have always performed gold unless you cherry pick the time frames.
Unless you are an accomplished stock trader, 95% of the time you will lost your money, and if and when you do sell, it will cost you a percentage also. Actually gold and silver are trading over spot. Gold is not for day trading, it is for the long run and an investment as a hedge against inflation. Yes it takes its dips, but that is Because the big dollar investors buy huge amounts at the dip and in a couple of days when it goes back up, sell for the profit, but you are talking about huge leverage investors. I have been buying gold since 2008, at $700 an oz. Back then. Sure it’s gone up but who wants to sell for USD that is going down due to inflation. The stock marker is no longer a true indicator. Japan is in trouble (flat broke) as well as China and many other countries. They’re investers are coming to US stock market because there currency is going down and we have the reserve currency, and the most stable economy (for now) but the US is flat broke also. Wait a few months and see what happens to inflation. Just my opinion.

Veritas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you are an accomplished stock trader, 95% of the time you will lost your money.
What do you base this on? If you mean as a day trader I would agree.

I have been buying stocks each month as a percentage of each paycheck regardless of what is going on in the world for at least 25 years. I invest in mutual funds pegged to the entire DOW or S&P at very low maintenance fee rates like in Vanguard accounts and see the proven historical returns of 10-12% annually. I'm up 100's of thousands of dollars and have put almost zero thought into it.

SNAKE PLISSKEN

"The name is Plissken"
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I first got interested in buying precious metals I asked an oldtimer that bragged about buying gold with his retirement checks why he didn't keep his money in the stockmarket. He told me his grampa would always say people that own gold don't jump off buildings when the market crashes.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you base this on? If you mean as a day trader I would agree.

I have been buying stocks each month as a percentage of each paycheck regardless of what is going on in the world for at least 25 years. I invest in mutual funds pegged to the entire DOW or S&P at very low maintenance fee rates like in Vanguard accounts and see the proven historical returns of 10-12% annually. I'm up 100's of thousands of dollars and have put almost zero thought into it.
I was speaking of a novice trader. Area you saying that you have been buying stocks for 25 years without any thought in it and making $s100,000 from it? WOW

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was speaking of a novice trader. Area you saying that you have been buying stocks for 25 years without any thought in it and making $s100,000 from it? WOW
My 401K invested for me since its inception in 1980 I think it was. During the late 80's and 90's, the company paid for any stock transfers or transactions within the plan. It didn't take much to watch the market and see the stocks ebb and then grow, then fall once again sometimes on a cycle. Then one just had to get online and see when the company execs which cannot trade without announcing when and how much they are going to trade and follow their pattern.
Day trading became my obsession for ten years or so, taking a few hits, but in the end when one gets a big nest egg, and is diversified, the storms can be weathered.
With compounded interest, money hasn't been much of an issue in our retirement using the stock market to get growth.

1724213235532.png

Historically stocks and bonds always overcome the dips in value and continue to grow.
I haven't followed this thread in its entirety and own a little silver but always wondered how I'm going to use it if SHTF.
If I need a loaf of bread, do I bite off a piece of gold or silver and give it to a merchant and expect change if I bit off too much?
I'm not trying to belittle or diminish anybody that is into precious metals, but I can't figure out why I need any.
Sure, it grows in value. I get that, but how does one turn that value into a loaf of bread as an example only.
There is a huge presence of gold and silver dealers on TV saying it's a hedge against inflation. As much money as they spend on those TV ads, it has to be them making the money from investors.
If the investors wish to cash out, don't they get the inflated price of the currency in exchange?
How is that a hedge against inflation?
I'll admit I'm not up to snuff on metals, and these have been my questions for a long time.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 401K invested for me since its inception in 1980 I think it was. During the late 80's and 90's, the company paid for any stock transfers or transactions within the plan. It didn't take much to watch the market and see the stocks ebb and then grow, then fall once again sometimes on a cycle. Then one just had to get online and see when the company execs which cannot trade without announcing when and how much they are going to trade and follow their pattern.
Day trading became my obsession for ten years or so, taking a few hits, but in the end when one gets a big nest egg, and is diversified, the storms can be weathered.
With compounded interest, money hasn't been much of an issue in our retirement using the stock market to get growth.

View attachment 504142

Historically stocks and bonds always overcome the dips in value and continue to grow.
I haven't followed this thread in its entirety and own a little silver but always wondered how I'm going to use it if SHTF.
If I need a loaf of bread, do I bite off a piece of gold or silver and give it to a merchant and expect change if I bit off too much?
I'm not trying to belittle or diminish anybody that is into precious metals, but I can't figure out why I need any.
Sure, it grows in value. I get that, but how does one turn that value into a loaf of bread as an example only.
There is a huge presence of gold and silver dealers on TV saying it's a hedge against inflation. As much money as they spend on those TV ads, it has to be them making the money from investors.
If the investors wish to cash out, don't they get the inflated price of the currency in exchange?
How is that a hedge against inflation?
I'll admit I'm not up to snuff on metals, and these have been my questions for a long time.
Ok, so you not a novice. As I stated, most people. Young inexperienced trying to get their feet on the ground, old folks trying to hedge their retirement etc. many experienced traders make some returns. Experienced metals traders also make returns.. In a SHTF situation money will be king for a short time. Maybe a couple of months, until the stores won’t take it any longer because the cost of goods is rising faster than the goods they are presently selling. A barter system will develop, and it will start with silver. Silver coins before 1965 will be used. If you bring in a 1 oz. Coin and make a purchase, your change will be in pre 65 silver coins ( and yes three are many machines to authenticate weight and content.) An oz. Of gold will be broken into smaller gold coins or silver. And the trade goes on..again, just my opinion.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so you not a novice. As I stated, most people. Young inexperienced trying to get their feet on the ground, old folks trying to hedge their retirement etc. many experienced traders make some returns. Experienced metals traders also make returns.. In a SHTF situation money will be king for a short time. Maybe a couple of months, until the stores won’t take it any longer because the cost of goods is rising faster than the goods they are presently selling. A barter system will develop, and it will start with silver. Silver coins before 1965 will be used. If you bring in a 1 oz. Coin and make a purchase, your change will be in pre 65 silver coins ( and yes three are many machines to authenticate weight and content.) An oz. Of gold will be broken into smaller gold coins or silver. And the trade goes on..again, just my opinion.
I respect your opinion but have never seen a scale in any establishment other than a pawn shop, or metals dealer to determine what the weight or silver content is. That is not where I buy a loaf of bread as an example only.
How many people collect old coins? I'm suspecting without any real accurate knowledge that 99% of the population never look to see if that coin in their hand is silver or just another quarter.
You said that "traders also make returns". Is that because the collector buys below market and resells at market or above? How does the average joe make a return?
I guess by holding on to it for a while? But then they have to sell it below market to get the inflated dollar so the trader can make a return?
It's late and I'm cooking breakfast in the morning for a few folks, so I'm out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom