Precious Metal stacking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veritas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was speaking of a novice trader. Area you saying that you have been buying stocks for 25 years without any thought in it and making $s100,000 from it? WOW
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. If you buy steadily over your life and in funds that take in the whole Dow as one option, you will come out way ahead in the long run. Now in times like 2008 when everything crashed and people panicked I did purposely buy more stocks because everything was on "sale" and of course, I have made the most on buying when the economy is down.

I remember when I interned at Merrill Lynch in 1999 and no one could believe the stock market closed over 10,000 for the first time. Imagine if I was so scared of Y2K that I sold my stocks instead of hanging on and reaping the dotcom boom and the 30,000 additional points it has gone up.

Again, I have gold and silver like I have ammo and water filters, insurance against disaster, but never a serious investment.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I respect your opinion but have never seen a scale in any establishment other than a pawn shop, or metals dealer to determine what the weight or silver content is. That is not where I buy a loaf of bread as an example only.
How many people collect old coins? I'm suspecting without any real accurate knowledge that 99% of the population never look to see if that coin in their hand is silver or just another quarter.
You said that "traders also make returns". Is that because the collector buys below market and resells at market or above? How does the average joe make a return?
I guess by holding on to it for a while? But then they have to sell it below market to get the inflated dollar so the trader can make a return?
It's late and I'm cooking breakfast in the morning for a few folks, so I'm out.
As stated, in a SHTF senario silver coins will be used. Folks who prepare for that senario understand this and have or will purchase 90% old silver coins. By the way, these are also gaining in value as no more are made and the folks who purchase them are holding them. Some stores in some states do accept silver and gold for purchases. Some states have declared gold and silver as money and accept it for taxes. I don’t pay attention to what years metals go up or down, but about 10 years or so ago gold and silver ware going crazy and every pawn shop and coin stores had silver and gold content and weighing machines as folks were bringing in jewelry and silverware to sell for scrap. The machines do exist, but are really not used at this time because there is’nt any real metals rush right now. Wait, it’s coming. You don’t use them to buy bread now because the dollar is still king. But for how long? Yes there is some spread in buying and selling, but for the normal buyer, they are holders not traders. Only the people with the big, big bucks trade in metals. They leverage hundreds of thousands of oz’s. So when it goes up $30 or $40 they sell and can make money. Selling metals a little below market to realize a profit is the same as paying a fee to sell stocks. Just my opinion.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. If you buy steadily over your life and in funds that take in the whole Dow as one option, you will come out way ahead in the long run. Now in times like 2008 when everything crashed and people panicked I did purposely buy more stocks because everything was on "sale" and of course, I have made the most on buying when the economy is down.

I remember when I interned at Merrill Lynch in 1999 and no one could believe the stock market closed over 10,000 for the first time. Imagine if I was so scared of Y2K that I sold my stocks instead of hanging on and reaping the dotcom boom and the 30,000 additional points it has gone up.

Again, I have gold and silver like I have ammo and water filters, insurance against disaster, but never a serious investment.
Ok, so you are an experienced trader that have been doing it for years. You buy steadily over your life and you come out ahead. I stated that purchasing gold and holding it you will also come out ahead. Purchase in 2008 for $700 an oz. And now at $2500. Obviously you are a good trader and have done well. I congratulate you. I was just trying to point out that in a SHTF scenario stocks will more than likely crash and metals will go up. Metals and commodities do well as confidence in the government drops.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, first let me say I am NOT qualified to give anyone any type of financial advice, but I will give you my take on precious metals for SHTF scenarios.

Precious metals have always held at least some value for centuries, and probably always will. Your friend and mine FDR issued Executive Order 6102 on April 5th 1933 ordering all US citizens to surrender their Gold coins, bullion, etc. to the Federal reserve for $20.67 per troy ounce. I understand compliance was spotty at best. Just a little side note.

My feelings on keeping gold and silver is only keep US coins. You know the exact denomination and weight of the item your holding if it comes time to trade for chickens or bullets. Everyone will know what you have there and should trade accordingly.

1964 or earlier silver coins-dimes-quarters-halves. Silver dollars are kinda a whole different game.
Their weight is not a full troy ounce and they trade a little differently. Don't get me wrong, I love the Morgan silver dollar and I have a few just to fondle occasionally.

Barber/Mercury/Roosevelt dimes (again 1964 or earlier) are great barter items IMHO. You can occasionally still see Barbers that have been clipped (cut in half or quarters) that were used in trading during hard times decades ago.

1 ounce (or 5 ounce or 10 ounce) bars are pretty and varied, but how are you gonna get your full value when trading without sawing off a chunk? Never could understand trading ammo to someone who may coming back to use it on you. If your going to keep bars or rounds, Obtain known makers like Englehard/Amark/Silver Town, etc. I don't think I would want a bar from Fast Eddies Coin and Carpet cleaning!

Sorry, had to take a little break there. One of our cats decided I needed a little help and cats and keyboards don't mix!

Gold. The US Mint still make Gold eagles in Tenth/Quarter/Half and Full Ounce coins. They are a beauty to have and to hold. I would suggest the tenth ounce for SHTF scenarios if you want to keep gold coins. You can even obtain tiny 1 Gram bars from good coin shops or on line. I personally would prefer them over even the tenth ounce coin for trading (think trading value here) not for speculation.

OK, this little snippet has already gone on long enough.

Good luck to all and God bless America!

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here buy old coins? I don't have that much special stuff, but a handful of older stuff that I really don't care about and I just think it's time to start turning all my crap into cash so I can give it to the folks that take care of old folks.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gold. The US Mint still make Gold eagles in Tenth/Quarter/Half and Full Ounce coins. They are a beauty to have and to hold. I would suggest the tenth ounce for SHTF scenarios if you want to keep gold coins. You can even obtain tiny 1 Gram bars from good coin shops or on line. I personally would prefer them over even the tenth ounce coin for trading (think trading value here) not for speculation.

I've seen 1 oz gold 'cards' about the size of a credit card that are perforated in 1/10 's so you could easily/accurately break off what was needed. Seems like a good idea if gold is your passion.
1725123105496.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom