Proper procedure for notifying LEO of CC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only if you want to be charged with a violation of the SDA for being in a government building while carrying a concealed firearm.

Now if we change the location to your favorite eatery, then the answer is easily, No. You are not being arrested, detained, or in a routine traffic stop so there is no need to notify.

Just because an officer and I have a polite conversation while standing in line at the gas station or fast food joint does not mean I need to notify either.

OK ,my apologys for the smart alec response , and your correct.

This is what I was looking for, as a passenger , unless contacted, I'll be Quiet

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK ,my apologys for the smart alec response , and your correct.

This is what I was looking for, as a passenger , unless contacted, I'll be Quiet

Where in the law does it say anything about contact? It says any person during an arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop. It does not say the subject of a routine traffic stop.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If anybody cares, the CLEET opinion in an update they furnished is that passengers in a car are not exempt from notification during a traffic stop.
I have no opinion, but when somebody asks in a class, I quote CLEET. Don't know of any case law on this.

zirrow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was recently out camping, and as I was having a beer, I took my firearm off and secured it. Shortly thereafter, a game warden came up to collect fees for the campground. As I said, I wasn't carrying at the time, but it got me thinking: I would think a game warden falls under, "any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions." As such, would I have been required to identify myself as a handgun license holder had I been carrying in this instance (we'll assume I hadn't been drinking for this example)? This was a full-on game warden in an official vehicle, wearing a badge, vest, and uniform, not just someone with the Parks Department.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was recently out camping, and as I was having a beer, I took my firearm off and secured it. Shortly thereafter, a game warden came up to collect fees for the campground. As I said, I wasn't carrying at the time, but it got me thinking: I would think a game warden falls under, "any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions." As such, would I have been required to identify myself as a handgun license holder had I been carrying in this instance (we'll assume I hadn't been drinking for this example)? This was a full-on game warden in an official vehicle, wearing a badge, vest, and uniform, not just someone with the Parks Department.

They are a sworn LEO, so yes, you would be correct.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You are correct about them being a law enforcement officer, but you would not have had to inform of the firearm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom