PTR 91 - Good Buy, or Stay Away From?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure, I'd love to do an Aimpoint or an EoTech or even an ACOG, but they cost just too dang much.

I've got a Bushnell TRS-25 that I've had on my AK for three years now, and it's not failed me, and I've put that gun through the ringer many times.

I will look into the Hensoldt Z24. Never heard of it.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see prices hovering anywhere from $500 to a $1000. Is that correct?

If so, I'll gladly take one for donation to add to my rifle, and you'll have mine and my dog's ever eternal thanks.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am probably going to go the UTG route for $20. I doubt that it will be all that much worse than its' more expensive competitors, and it will allow me to get a better cheekweld than the claw mount.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am probably going to go the UTG route for $20. I doubt that it will be all that much worse than its' more expensive competitors, and it will allow me to get a better cheekweld than the claw mount.

My personal experience with UTG has not been that great. I hope you have better luck then I did with their products. Personally, I would buy the best mount you can afford. It will be frustrating to sight in a rifle if the mount isn't solid and it's moving around. I've had this happen before, and I thought it was the rifle, the optic, and/or the ammo. It took a few range sessions to realize it was the mount.

Cyclerider88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a PTR91F that has the "heavier" 18in barrel - all PTR's have Thompson Center barrels, and advertise them as "Match Grade." Yes, the do bugger up the brass, but its still reloadable IF you can find it, mine has a healthy 30 ft eject pattern. CheaperThanDirt used to have the aluminum mag's for .97 each and now they're up to $3.97 each. The trigger can use some attention, contact Bill Spingfield: www.triggerwork.net
I would say, for that For the price, you can't beat it.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My personal experience with UTG has not been that great. I hope you have better luck then I did with their products. Personally, I would buy the best mount you can afford. It will be frustrating to sight in a rifle if the mount isn't solid and it's moving around. I've had this happen before, and I thought it was the rifle, the optic, and/or the ammo. It took a few range sessions to realize it was the mount.

I understand what you are saying. If I get it and it turns out not to work, then I'm out a whole $17, and I move on. Amazon has them for that price with free shipping on Prime, so I am going to go that route first and pair it with a Bushnell TRS-25, a RDS that I have already personally proven is reliable and rugged. Then I look at moving on to a magnified optic of some sort if I feel like it, but not anything over $300.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying. If I get it and it turns out not to work, then I'm out a whole $17, and I move on. Amazon has them for that price with free shipping on Prime, so I am going to go that route first and pair it with a Bushnell TRS-25, a RDS that I have already personally proven is reliable and rugged. Then I look at moving on to a magnified optic of some sort if I feel like it, but not anything over $300.

Hell yeah. I love amazon prime. I also have a trs-25 on my M&P 15-22. It's been a great optic so far. No complaints.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to close this thread out, here is the finished weapon. I may add a cheek rest at some point and maybe even a wood stock set. Anyway, the rifle has digested about 300 rounds of Wolf Steel Case 147 grain thus far and has not had a hiccup of any kind. The scope base is UTG, the QD scope is the Burris PEPR, and the scope itself is a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7, which I paid $160 for with the PEPR mount included:

2014-02-20 23.47.50.jpg

Attachments

• 1779185_734537599924560_265891976_n.jpg
    1779185_734537599924560_265891976_n.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 297
Last edited: