Question about deer..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've lived on 11 aceres in choctaw my whole life and I've always seen doe's run together (I just saw 7 10 minutes ago) but I've never seen a buck with them. What gives? I know during the rut they run with the does but I have never seen a buck around my parents house. I've seen small buck tracks but I just dont understand why I havent seen one running around.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the breeding period of the rut is only a few days out of the entire year. I've been hunting all season and have seen very few bucks with does.

Deer are also nocturnal animals so the majority of the time you will never know they are there.

I would be willing to bet that the buck to doe ratio in that area is skewed towards the does fairly heavily and that any bucks that do show their face it that area get shot at fairly frequently. They learn to avoid dangerous places real quick.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the breeding period of the rut is only a few days out of the entire year. I've been hunting all season and have seen very few bucks with does.

Deer are also nocturnal animals so the majority of the time you will never know they are there.

I would be willing to bet that the buck to doe ratio in that area is skewed towards the does fairly heavily and that any bucks that do show their face it that area get shot at fairly frequently. They learn to avoid dangerous places real quick.

I never thought about it but I know there are a ton of bow hunters out this way so i bet your right. I need to invest in a trail camera and plant something this spring to draw them into my area.. any ideas of what I could plant to keep them around more often? I was thinking some clover, but i dont know whats pretty low maintenance that would do ok in the oklahoma dirt.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The females in any ruminant animal species will be more sociable than the males. Watch cattle. A bull will often segregate himself from the cows if none is in estrus. The cows instinctively stick together in case they have to gang up on predators particulary at calving time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The females in any ruminant animal species will be more sociable than the males. Watch cattle. A bull will often segregate himself from the cows if none is in estrus. The cows instinctively stick together in case they have to gang up on predators particulary at calving time.

Thats pretty much the bottom line of lots of wild game species.
The bucks, like tom turkey will hang out in bachelor groups untill the breeding season comes along.

Think of it like your first high school dance....All the guys were on one side of the room, and the girls on the other. When a guy finally got enough kahuna's to go ask one to dance he would move to the other side of the room.
Unfortunatly, if you were me, rejection would be the story of your life:nutkick:

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I have learned, you will usually only see a large buck with does during the rut. I think the only season open during the rut is bow season.

I have began to believe the people that set the dates for each season know when the rut is, and then they schedule rifle season right AFTER the rut is over.

I have a few game cameras, and the big bucks are usually out around 2:00am-4:00am.

If they ran around during the day, they wouldn't get to be "large bucks", so its a catch 22 I guess.

-Brad

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to invest in a trail camera and plant something this spring to draw them into my area.. any ideas of what I could plant to keep them around more often? I was thinking some clover, but i dont know whats pretty low maintenance that would do ok in the oklahoma dirt.

Good old wheat will grow just about anywhere. Its cheap, and low maintenance.

MarcusR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's funny you mention that. I live out in Choctaw as well off Reno and triple x. I never see any bucks either just a ton of does. Until tonight, almost hit a nice 6 or 8 pointer just down the street and ther was another little 4 waiting to cross after I passed. This was about 6 o'clock tonight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom