Rabbit Season.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago, I was working nights, alone, for a chemical plant start up, South of Houston.
There were huge, Swamp rabbits everywhere. I took a wrist rocket and a can full of 1/4" steel bearings. I would shoot 2-3 rabbits every night. Fry em up with biscuits and gravy.

I had been doing this for about 3 weeks, had shot and cleaned 3 rabbits. They were in the kitchen sink and I had a bit of work to do.
The Night Supervisor came up behind me and asked, "when is breakfast?"
Told him, "about 3am."
He shows up at 3 and the biscuits are almost done. We sit and have breakfast. He leans back and says, "that was some good eating, I'm stuffed. It won't happen again. They mowed yesterday, a ball bearing went through the Plant Manager's office window and knocked the phone out of his hand, just missed his ear. I won't tell him who or what was behind it. BUT, IT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN."
It didn't. But that was some good eating. I do love me some fried rabbit.

Last edited:

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to spend a couple of days slaying jacks up in the panhandle this year.
Does anyone have a jack report from up there?
I've already nicknamed my CZ Scout "The Bunnysher".

3asE10F.jpg
I saw more than I usually do when I was there last weekend.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's not how Grandma tenderized em!
Your way sounds easier!

01_jackrabbit_opener.jpg
My dad and his community in NC Kansas used to have rabbit drives every Sunday after church on someone's fields. You would use 22s until you got close, then baseball bats. Afterwards it was a big cookout.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I said earlier in this thread that I'm not seeing much in NC Ok.
Was brush hogging along our Salt Fork River place for a food plot and saw the first two rabbits ever seen in my lifetime on that property and trust me, there has been hundreds of hours on the tractor on that property. Good to see them coming back.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cottontail in the back yard this morning and two in the neighbors yard across the circle.

Love her to death but sometimes I just can't figure mama out, if she sees them in the yard she'll chase them out of the yard waving a old towel....neighbors probably think she's nutz running around chasing rabbits with a old towel. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom