Scattergun Tech TR870 ... round in chamber or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry an Remington 870 with round in chamber or not?

• trust my safety and always carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 43 55.8%
  • don't trust safeties and never carry 870 with round in chamber

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks ... sharp eyes... mag extension wasn't screwed on completely.
gave it another 1/4 turn and tube straighten up. but not completely

Before you load anything in that 870, you need to figure out why your mag extension is bent.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If I draw a weapon for the purpose of defense, the last thing I want to do is give away my position, or improve the intruders situational awareness.

Pleeez,give away your position?? What are you a sniper?? The example RickN gave was the BEST possible outcome.I really don't care what anyone thinks,no-one breaking into a house is going to come towards the sound of a shotgun being racked.They're going to run away and most likely will not be back.They can always find some unarmed or unoccupied place to hit.Personally,I'd just as soon not shoot the dumb azz,paper work/legal problems etc.Takes longer to get into action?? What maybe 1-2 seconds??

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i keep mine cruiser safe..

main reason is their is no firing pin safety on a shotgun..

if it had one then I'd carry it chamber-hot

I also don't carry my AR chamber loaded...

The only thing chamber loaded is my pistol.

of course I have a few ass eating dobermans that keep my feet warm at night that will well alert the guy breaking into my house so I don't have to worry about the "racking" sound giving anything away..

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pleeez,give away your position?? What are you a sniper?? The example RickN gave was the BEST possible outcome.I really don't care what anyone thinks,no-one breaking into a house is going to come towards the sound of a shotgun being racked.They're going to run away and most likely will not be back.They can always find some unarmed or unoccupied place to hit.Personally,I'd just as soon not shoot the dumb azz,paper work/legal problems etc.Takes longer to get into action?? What maybe 1-2 seconds??

Well I tell you what. While I am in my dark house, and some crackhead is stumbling around headed my way, I will take my safety down and kill him from my position, and survive.

You rack your slide, walk out into the hallway, maybe a nice dirty harry greeting. When he blows your head off, we'll miss ya on the board. It's SAD that you would think that anyone with the mind set to break into an obviously occupied house(cars, tv, no newspapers, etc.), would give a damn about your Rambo act. Chances are also good that THEY are armed, and can now fire in a decided direction.

Just for your information, I graduated international arms with the Army, I was invited to try out for the Army Marksmanship Team, and yes I have taken several courses geared toward long range, low detection fires(civilian).

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well I tell you what. While I am in my dark house, and some crackhead is stumbling around headed my way, I will take my safety down and kill him from my position, and survive.

You rack your slide, walk out into the hallway, maybe a nice dirty harry greeting. When he blows your head off, we'll miss ya on the board. It's SAD that you would think that anyone with the mind set to break into an obviously occupied house(cars, tv, no newspapers, etc.), would give a damn about your Rambo act. Chances are also good that THEY are armed, and can now fire in a decided direction.

Just for your information, I graduated international arms with the Army, I was invited to try out for the Army Marksmanship Team, and yes I have taken several courses geared toward long range, low detection fires(civilian).

No Rambo act here,step out,don't be stupid.Chances are they are not armed,most intruders don't want that extra charge on them.I'm just going to bunker down and announce I've called the police after I racked my slide and see if he wants to come down my hall.You can go ahead and sneak up on him and blast away(and you called me a Rambo?? Have you ever seen Rambo??).Then you can make the evening news and deal with the possible arrest,criminal charges and most likely a wrongful death suit,which you might win but will cost you thousands.Also,you might want to keep Bill Coye's number handy to clean up the giant mess of brains,blood and tissue you just made all over your walls and floor.Me,I'll just call the cops and they'll come out and do a report.I don't agree with you and you don't agree with me,move on.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No Rambo act here,step out,don't be stupid.Chances are they are not armed,most intruders don't want that extra charge on them.I'm just going to bunker down and announce I've called the police after I racked my slide and see if he wants to come down my hall.You can go ahead and sneak up on him and blast away(and you called me a Rambo?? Have you ever seen Rambo??).Then you can make the evening news and deal with the possible arrest,criminal charges and most likely a wrongful death suit,which you might win but will cost you thousands.Also,you might want to keep Bill Coye's number handy to clean up the giant mess of brains,blood and tissue you just made all over your walls and floor.Me,I'll just call the cops and they'll come out and do a report.I don't agree with you and you don't agree with me,move on.

How easily we forget. Maybe you need to read my post again. FROM MY DEFENSIVE POSITION, probably the far side of my bed if that in fact is where I am when they enter.
There are laws to defend us against such prosecution. It won't cost me a dime. I too will notify the police, hopefully before any nasty little things happen. I must admit, at one point in my life I would have remained 100% defensive, and hoped for the best while waiting for LEO's.
Today however I have watched to many LEO's get hurt, and too many criminals walk. I would take the earliest opportunity to remove them from the gene pool so long as I could do so without risk to myself or other innocent people.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How easily we forget. Maybe you need to read my post again. FROM MY DEFENSIVE POSITION, probably the far side of my bed if that in fact is where I am when they enter.
There are laws to defend us against such prosecution. It won't cost me a dime. I too will notify the police, hopefully before any nasty little things happen. I must admit, at one point in my life I would have remained 100% defensive, and hoped for the best while waiting for LEO's.
Today however I have watched to many LEO's get hurt, and too many criminals walk. I would take the earliest opportunity to remove them from the gene pool so long as I could do so without risk to myself or other innocent people.

Probably not the best thing to say on the internet,I hope it doesn't come back to haunt you some day.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
many thanks for your offer of help, I'm not the least bit bashful if I get stuck.

got it taken take of... a bit of filing to get the sling attachment to lay down flat against barrel flange. extension is now in alignment.

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_scattergun10.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_scattergun7.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_scattergun8.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_scattergun9.JPG

I saw that also. If the OP wants, I'm a Remington 870 armorer, I can inspect your shotty for a small fee ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom