School me on AR charging handle upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I get why people would upgrade their charging handle. Get a better grip, grip angle or accommodate a gloved hand.

What I don't get is which ones are actually BETTER?

As a right hander, who won't see a scenario for wearing gloves and shooting my rifle, what upgrades should I look at?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got a BCM ambi model. I'm lookin forward to trying it out, although its one of those things, I'm so used to using the standard CH that I probably won't ever use the other side.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not following - how is grabbing the latch attached to charging handle more robust than charging handle itself?

You're apparently only considering the old school method of manipulation, which is slower and more cumbersome. If you review the current methods of manipulation, you'd realize that extra stress is imparted on the roll pin that holds the latch in the CH. The Gunfighter and Raptor are designed to redistribute the stress to non-critical areas. The Raptor even works to counter the torque applied during single side manipulation and provides for ambidextrous manipulation without dismounting the rifle.

If you just want to kick it old school, sure, get a GI handle and don't worry about it. If you want to run current TTP's and keep up with the big dogs, you're better off with an advanced CH design.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you review the current methods of manipulation, you'd realize that extra stress is imparted on the roll pin that holds the latch in the CH.
I still don't get it - GI latch is flush with CH when operated - you can't put stress on the roll pin even you try to. The only time I've seen a "failure" was in BCM advertisement (copied 100 times over on all the boards) - and I still don't see it happening WITHOUT adding extended latch to begin with.

If you need more area for off-hand operation - why not just make a wider Tee of the charging handle, instead of hanging an extended latch that is indeed held by just a pin?

If you want to run current TTP's and keep up with the big dogs, you're better off with an advanced CH design.

Maybe big dogs need to invest in better quality gear/ammo so that their crap don't jam as much :P

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still don't get it - GI latch is flush with CH when operated - you can't put stress on the roll pin even you try to. The only time I've seen a "failure" was in BCM advertisement (copied 100 times over on all the boards) - and I still don't see it happening WITHOUT adding extended latch to begin with.

If you need more area for off-hand operation - why not just make a wider Tee of the charging handle, instead of hanging an extended latch that is indeed held by just a pin?

Maybe big dogs need to invest in better quality gear/ammo so that their crap don't jam as much :P

Seems you have your mind made up and nothing will change it, so do whatever you like! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom