School me on AR charging handle upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems you have your mind made up and nothing will change it, so do whatever you like! :D

No way man, I'm here to learn. Logic will change my mind.

I've put an extended latch on my AR; and first time out it would catch on clothing constantly, it would unlatch the charging handle and make it rattle around while walking (slung). I usually use "traditional" strong hand to manipulate the charging handle, but will use weak hand "pinch" in case of a stove pipe. I can see where stronger/extended grip would help - but if it comes at a price of snagging, it's just not worth it ... maybe my sling technique is weak.

The extended charging handle is now on my varmint gun that gets shot of the bipod, and the only time the charging handle is used is to clear before going home.

P.S. Ordered BCM Mod5 to see what's all the fuss is about .... :grumble:

Glocksteady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you guys got me too. I am anti-snag probably more so than Mo. I too was thinking about the Mod 5 but after reading, decided to gamble on the Mod 4. In OSA we trust.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I've put an extended latch on my AR; and first time out it would catch on clothing constantly, it would unlatch the charging handle and make it rattle around while walking (slung). I usually use "traditional" strong hand to manipulate the charging handle, but will use weak hand "pinch" in case of a stove pipe. I can see where stronger/extended grip would help - but if it comes at a price of snagging, it's just not worth it ... maybe my sling technique is weak.

The extended charging handle is now on my varmint gun that gets shot of the bipod, and the only time the charging handle is used is to clear before going home.

Just putting an extended latch on a GI doesn't really solve anything. Yes it makes it easier to manipulate one handed, but it adds unecessary stress to the pin holding the latch. The BCM's have been re designed so that there is extra metal behind the latch, which the BCM style latch hits, removing the stress point at the pin, and moving it to the body of the latch.

GI style has a gap behind the latch:
brigadearmory.com_catalog_images_charging_20handle_20with_20tac_20latch.jpg

BCM design doesn't:
ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_31x1WivUHaL._SX385_.jpg

Here is an illustration of the BCM latch design and how it moves the stress from the pin to the handle itself:
www.bravocompanyusa.com_v_vspfiles_assets_images_gfh_mod4_cutaway_drawing_bo.jpg

It's not necessarily all about the bigger latch, but more about reliablility/durability of the CH itself. Hope this helps explain the differences, and advantages of the BCM.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i also use the BCM latch. makes it easier to access and charge it one handed with a scope on it. i didnt like trying to reach two fingers between the scope and buffer especially with gloves on while hunting.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

My apologies. I really don't have an issue with those who prefer the GI. I've tried the extended latches and ditched them as well. I'd rather run a GI than a Badger or similar. I've tried the PRI Gasbuster and didn't care for it either. I got a Mod 4 and it really does operate on a different level than either GI or extended. it's on my precision rig to clear the scope objective. I got the Mod 5 for my M-16 and it's my favorite. Not as low profile as a GI, but close enough to eliminate most all snag issues. It's much easier to get a good "pinch" on than the GI and the stress is off the roll pin. In the event I ever have to "mortar" it in a fight, I have a lot more confidence it will hold together.

My only beef with the Gunfighter series is with the "grittiness" of the movement. They use a rough texture phosphate finish that holds lubricant well, but until it's well worn, it feels rough. As a tradeoff for added durability, I can live with it.

The Raptor is all the Gunfighter is, with ambi latches and a very smooth, linear operation with no torquing. The ambi operation is unlike the others and while the latches are extended, they're really well designed and not nearly as snag prone as an extended latch.

I hope you like the GF. If you ever have a chance to try the Raptor, you may like it as well.

www.tigerland.co.jp_upload_save_image_4860_2.jpg

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not necessarily all about the bigger latch, but more about reliablility/durability of the CH itself. Hope this helps explain the differences, and advantages of the BCM.

I think you are missing my point. I agree that BCM is a better design than other "bigger" latches - I just believe that it's best to not have an extended latch at all.
I don't shoot ARs that much - maybe 6-8000 rounds in the last 6 years, and most of at prairie dogs. I have had maybe 5 jams that I can remember. Out of those four there was just one time when I just racked it and went on (without thoroughly examining what caused the jam to begin with, and I mean thoroughly)*. So from my view bigger latch that I might use once in the next 5 years come with a price of constant snagging. Maybe MOD5 is indeed a better design (in snagging department) and I'm just talking out of my @ss, but that's why I will have one on my rifle this week.

* Same reason I believe that forward assist is the worst idea ever.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you ever have a chance to try the Raptor, you may like it as well.

That does look low profile; but dude, that thing is like $100! Surely there are better places to spend that money on an AR-15 (barrel, trigger, optics, etc).

I've built my friend the ultimate KISS rifle a year ago - it was $600 OTD all new parts. It has been fed a steady diet of Tula lacquered steel case ammo through hours of practice, carbine class and qualification. It had a few cases stuck and had to be cleared by pulling on the handle and slamming the buttstock; and couple of times ripped the rims off in the process and had to be cleared with a rod. He uses "karate chop" charging technique exclusively.

But nothing broke.

My point is - if generic GI-type stuff doesn't break - why fix it? Or is it like car racing - you fix it till breaks?

P.S. I do want to hear more about GI CH failing, aeropb

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom