School me on AR charging handle upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are worried about having your charhing handle 'constantly snag' when you are shooting prairie dogs? Or am I taking that out of context?

The prairie dog gun is the one that has "snagging" charging handle for that reason. My drag-around/walk-about/varmint-predator (AKA tactical) gun is the one I tried it on first it didn't like; and that's the gun I'm gonna try the BCM on.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No way man, I'm here to learn. Logic will change my mind.

Excellent. Sig worthy, even.
Nice to know that there are at least two of us. :D

I highly respect GTG's posts as well as MoBoost's and am watching this thread carefully since it is relevant to my interests. I am curious as to why the Raptor is your favorite, GTG.
They both seem to perform similarly, but the BCM takes the aesthetic cake for me.
American flag...GUNFIGHTER visible on charge...c'mon man, that's just cool! haha! Although I do prefer the actual grip areas of the Raptor more...
Just curious as to what actually tips the scales for you.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.tigerland.co.jp_upload_save_image_4860_2.jpg

3.bp.blogspot.com__kUDRn_sPqtE_TOw1XdUm3AI_AAAAAAAAALQ_HEShzQeX0MQ_s1600_homer_drool_1.gif

I want you to know that you didn't just cost me $100 - you cost me $200 (because when I upgrade my charging handle, my son will most likely want to trade in his Badger).

That's like coughing up my next Emerson or ZT man.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see from your earlier post that you said the charging handle would catch on your clothing, unlatch and rattle around. I'm just messing with mine in my house right now trying to simulate this and I am having trouble. The only way I can get it to unlatch and rattle around is if the BCG is locked to the rear. With my BCG seated and dust cover closed, it takes quite a bit of force to even move the BCG/CH. Simply snagging clothing, I don't feel, would unseat the BCG. I am currently trying this with a standard mil-spec CH, the Raptor, BCM GF, and the PRI Gas Buster. All of them are yeilding the same non-results. Am I simply snagging wrong?

Oh and I just realized that my coyote hunting AR has a BCM mod (whatever the medium latch is) on it and I can't EVER recall snagging it on anything. And this is after 7 coyote hunting contests where I am carrying this AR slung in 1 and 2 point configs for 10+ hours in a single day all day. Granted the BCM mod (whatever the medium latch is) isn't as large as a true Tac Latch such as the Badger or whatever, It is larger than a mil-spec latch. I must be doing something wrong because I can't simulate in my house or in the field. Sure my 70+ hours of carrying an AR in the hunting field is small potatoes compared to some of these ultratactical commandos here, but I do feel its more than at least some.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok because I'm bored.

Mil-Spec about 2 1/4"
[Broken External Image]

BCM small latch about 2 3/8"
[Broken External Image]

BCM medium latch (new style) about 2 5/8"
[Broken External Image]

PRI Gas Buster about 2 5/8"
[Broken External Image]

Rainier RAPTOR about 2 3/4"-7/8"
[Broken External Image]

There you go. I don't know why.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see from your earlier post that you said the charging handle would catch on your clothing, unlatch and rattle around. I'm just messing with mine in my house right now trying to simulate this and I am having trouble. The only way I can get it to unlatch and rattle around is if the BCG is locked to the rear.

Correct. I was walking around with my little brother in law, mag in the pocket and the BCG was locked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom