School me on lever action cartridges.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use lever guns for a lot of things and have for 40+ years. My recommendation is a used Marlin .30-30 - the older, the better. Most of my deer hunting has always been in LeFlore or McCurtain County and I have some nice bolt rifles for hunting open clearcuts, but in the grown-up cuts and, creek bottoms and what little native timber is left I use a lever gun most of the time- usually .30-30, but I do sometimes use my 1949 vintage Marlin 336 SC in .35 Remington. .30-30 & other lever cartridges are pretty easy to load for also.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
all the talk of the 30-30 being insufficient is hogwash....for a person that doesn't reload and will keep shots to not much over 200yds it will do anything needed in this part of the world...even elk....the hogs are not bullet proof and deer are tough but have a thin skin/fragile build....my fav is the 35R and 30-30 AI...but I can load for them....in your spot I would find a good 30-30 and never look back...

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
22hornet lever action please details!!!!!

Sent via message in a bottle

Brain fart, the hornet is a small stevens bolt action. I just wish I had a 22 hornet lever gun. A Winchester 25--20 or 32-20 could be converted without much trouble I think, Oh well, sorry to get your appetite whetted.. Jim

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm considering a 30-30, I want to be able to get my hands on a few, get a feel for what I want. Get a feel for what style stock I want, what length of barrel I'm wanting. Best place to find a decent selection of lever actions in the city?

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
try sooner state pawn...both stores...they get them in but they sell fast....one will turn up for you ....am partial to marlins myself - prior to the Remington take over - 2008 or older.....they are priced right and easy to break down....most are 20" barrels....

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
try sooner state pawn...both stores...they get them in but they sell fast....one will turn up for you ....am partial to marlins myself - prior to the Remington take over - 2008 or older.....they are priced right and easy to break down....most are 20" barrels....

That's what I was talking about. I read some absolute horror stories in the Marlin forum after Remington got ahold of them. About every kind of problem you can imagine and after multiple trips back they were still not even usable. Some Marlin die hards were downright pissed. I'm not talking about one or two either, it seemed to be the new norm. Hopefully they got things worked out, they are good rifles when they are right.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what I was talking about. I read some absolute horror stories in the Marlin forum after Remington got ahold of them. About every kind of problem you can imagine and after multiple trips back they were still not even usable. Some Marlin die hards were downright pissed. I'm not talking about one or two either, it seemed to be the new norm. Hopefully they got things worked out, they are good rifles when they are right.

This is what I've been reading as well, kinda breaks my heart. I was trying to find good, but just seemed to come up short... I'm really wanting something like the 336bl.

Latest posts

Top Bottom