School me on lever action cartridges.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I may suggest ... delay your timing expectations on getting a gun. Save up and get what you want ... and not a compromise. You will be happier having what you want and the wait will reduce any cognitive dissonance you may get with a lesser choice.

I definitely understand where you are coming from, and have considered that. However, this gun is going to be a brush/hog gun, and going to spend a good part of it's life being dragged around Oklahoma or strapped into a backpacking rig. It is going to be used, a lot and rather roughly. I'm not saying that I don't take care of my firearms, I definitely do, but I am definitely a user. I wring every penny of worth out of my weapons.

With that being said, for my intents and purposes, I think a solid $300-400
Winchester or Rossi would fit the bill nicely. I can spend 2-400 on accessories and glass if I want, and do all the polishing and smoothing myself and have a real nice rifle. I feel as if a $1200 work of art would be a bit of a needless waste.

Now for my second lever action......

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree. I had a client give me a Taylor Smoke Wagon Deluxe. One can't help but smile when cocking that gun and say "Wow!" when the hammer falls.

These are the pistols I compete with. Fantastic guns and the action job is first rate. Only complaint is that screws tend to work lose over the course of a few matches, but so do my vaqueros.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good point on the abuse. If you are looking for a 30-30, another option is Mossberg. Their "tactical" lever gun in my opinion looks hideous but their regular 30-30 lever gun could be a good option and they run about $400 new.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
These are the pistols I compete with. Fantastic guns and the action job is first rate. Only complaint is that screws tend to work lose over the course of a few matches, but so do my vaqueros.

Good advice .. I have only shot 20 rounds through mine but I will keep an eye on that. Thanks!

My wife had demanded (at first) that I sell it and I am SO glad that no one bought it! It is a really well made revolver and an absolutely handsome gun.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good advice .. I have only shot 20 rounds through mine but I will keep an eye on that. Thanks!

My wife had demanded (at first) that I sell it and I am SO glad that no one bought it! It is a really well made revolver and an absolutely handsome gun.

If you decide to sell it, let me know. I'm may be a buyer.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good point on the abuse. If you are looking for a 30-30, another option is Mossberg. Their "tactical" lever gun in my opinion looks hideous but their regular 30-30 lever gun could be a good option and they run about $400 new.

I did consider the regular rifle, and the "tactical" model is an abomination, and terribly hideous. There were two sore points with me. The safeties. There's some sort of button that you must squeeze the lever up against to fire the rifle, and the huge tang mounted safety. While the ambidextrious tang safety is a beautiful thing on the shotguns, I think it ruins the look of the rifle, and I feel that lever guns are a lot like revolvers, they don't need a safety. I got my hands on a mossberg 30-30 yesterday at big boys, I wasnt a big fan of the action. It just didn't feel very smooth or have a very positive feel to the lockup.

I wish that you didn't have to load the Henry's from the tube, that's about the only thing that ruins them for me. I absolutely adored my large loop Henry .22, and I'm pretty sure that I would like the 30-30 as well.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I did consider the regular rifle, and the "tactical" model is an abomination, and terribly hideous. There were two sore points with me. The safeties. There's some sort of button that you must squeeze the lever up against to fire the rifle, and the huge tang mounted safety. While the ambidextrious tang safety is a beautiful thing on the shotguns, I think it ruins the look of the rifle, and I feel that lever guns are a lot like revolvers, they don't need a safety. I got my hands on a mossberg 30-30 yesterday at big boys, I wasnt a big fan of the action. It just didn't feel very smooth or have a very positive feel to the lockup.

I wish that you didn't have to load the Henry's from the tube, that's about the only thing that ruins them for me. I absolutely adored my large loop Henry .22, and I'm pretty sure that I would like the 30-30 as well.

Did not know about the safeties. Thanks for sharing that. Had they made a gun in 44 magnum I might have been tempted ... but not now!

My friends keep telling me to get an "AR" but I don't see the need (other than they are fun) when I have a HB Rem 700 in 22-250. I would rather get another lever gun!

Good luck in your hunt for one!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did not know about the safeties. Thanks for sharing that. Had they made a gun in 44 magnum I might have been tempted ... but not now!

My friends keep telling me to get an "AR" but I don't see the need (other than they are fun) when I have a HB Rem 700 in 22-250. I would rather get another lever gun!

Good luck in your hunt for one!

Thank you sir! Those silly little AR rifle contraptions are a hoot to shoot and tons of fun. I enjoy using mine to shoot running prairie rats from 100 yards. It's worth it in my opinion.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I enjoy using mine to shoot running prairie rats from 100 yards. It's worth it in my opinion.

"Prairie rats" ... Many years ago, I was helping a friend to reduce the ground squirrel population on his ranch. One of the guns I used was my 375 H&H Magnum. It followed late great Elmer Keith's advice on penetration. When I hit one, it was like shooting a clay bird ... just a little puff of red smoke.

Latest posts

Top Bottom