Seasonal Allergies ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recipe: for Saline Nasal Rinse. I got this off WebMD and it is as good as the stuff you buy in packets and a heck of a lot cheaper! It works great using a Neti Pot.

8 oz distilled or sterile water
3 tspns kosher salt (non-iodized)
1 tspn baking soda

Mix it all up; put 1 level tspn in the Neti Pot, fill with room temp or lukewarm water. Lean over sink, tilt head, and flush schnozz out good, letting the snotallergunk run out of the opposite nostril. Be sure to rinse innards on both sides of schnozz.
That sounds like the mixture my doc gave me years ago, but you mix it up, then use a squeeze bulb (like the kind you use for clearing a baby's nose) to irrigate the sinuses. I did that for years, until my last squeeze bulb was too badly cracked and I couldn't find a replacement. My doctor recommended that I talk to the pharmacist in the facility, and they recommended the one with the Indian-looking (south Asian, not 'Murican) doctor on the box whose name I forget. It came with a squeeze bottle and the little packets of salt and soda, which makes it simple. Just pour the contents of the packet into the bottle, fill to the line with distilled water, nuke it for about 20 seconds, then squeeze it up into your sinuses.

I always do that after I've been doing any work on a tractor. Between the dirt and exhaust, it's amazing how much stuff gets flushed out afterwards...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's Oklahoma as I have lived in other states and it's always worse here.
My doc told me it was the winds sweeping everything down the plains. She said there are Claritin allergies, holding her hand up about midriff level, then there are Oklahoma allergies, holding her hand up about eye level.

I heard, years ago, that eating local honey was supposed to help with allergies, as it contains trace amounts of allergens, but I don't know if it's true or not. I like honey, but I don't guess I've consumed enough to tell...

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Strange thing is testing shows I have no allergies but was told to treat it like I have them. Hay fever syndrome is also mentioned by my allergists.

If it helps any, you aren't the only one who suffers this way. I did the allergy tests as well and I'm not allergic to anything. Apparently I have over active sinuses and small sinus passages. Even had balloon sinuplasty (they insert a small balloon into your sinuses and make it not so small, opening up the passages) and I still have sinus problems. The only good thing is that I don't have as many debilitating sinus migraines that put me down for a day or two as I used to.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My doc told me it was the winds sweeping everything down the plains. She said there are Claritin allergies, holding her hand up about midriff level, then there are Oklahoma allergies, holding her hand up about eye level.

I heard, years ago, that eating local honey was supposed to help with allergies, as it contains trace amounts of allergens, but I don't know if it's true or not. I like honey, but I don't guess I've consumed enough to tell...
I tried honey and even bee pollen and it didn't work but I'm not surprised as I they think I have non allergic rhinitis also known as vasomotor rhinitis.

It's covered here https://www.fauquierent.net/allergyneg.htm . They mention astelin nose spray for it but it didn't work for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom