Serious Question, Is this legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma is a right to work state, they don't have to give you a reason at all.

Oklahoma is an "employee at will" state which has to do with this situation. Right to work has nothing to do with this situation, has to do with unions. Not being a peckerhead just giving some info.

You can be fired in Oklahma for any reason other than sex, race, age, religion.

RyanSixer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The short answer for your short explanation is I would call an attorney and discuss the possibility of a sex and minority discrimination case with them. Depending on her age she may also be able to file an age discrimination case also.

Many years ago I had a similar situation. It took a couple of years but I recieved a handsome settlement from a company that treated me in a similar manner. And I only fell within one of the three categories your wife may fall into.

:D You can hardly notice the gray hairs.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma is a right to work state, they don't have to give you a reason at all.
Right to work has nothing to do with this. Oklahoma is an "at will" state, which means unless you have a contract, you can be terminated at any time for no reason at all. I've been an at will employee my entire working career (and I've had my current job over 20 years); there are procedures my boss is supposed to follow to terminate my employment, but the simple fact is that he could tell me tomorrow that my services are no longer required.

Having been on both sides of the management equation, I can tell you that there's more to this story, whether you (or your wife) know it or not. Employees almost never really know what's going on, particularly when it comes to their fellow employees and their qualifications, simply because they don't know what the boss knows. What the employee sees as qualifications for a position are not necessarily what the boss sees as qualifications, plus, you don't know what pressure is being applied to the boss by his bosses--after all, he has a job that has to get done, too.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the turnover is INCREDIBLE from her superiors (Salaried Board Members) in her department, they hire, and fire people with a revolving door, and have since the day she started, as soon as someone below her wanted to be full time and get benefits, they were soon let go.
That sounds like a toxic environment, and she really should've been looking for a job a long time ago. Hopefully, this will all work out for the best for her.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you sure? I believe in oklahoma you can still fire someone for this.

Pretty sure
I do a lot of the interviewing here at work. Can't say for sure it's a "law" but it's a subject we can't even talk about in an interview. IIRC in last classes I took on it that was one of the ones or the new one on the list of No No's

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, read over this a bit and I have a suggestion. Get a recorder or an app on her phone that will do the same thing and strike up a conversation about everything. May help for the burden of proof part at least, otherwise even if she gets someone else to write a statement or testify it will likely be hearsay unless they are part of the management.

It sucks when places are like this and there is little you can do, though I would make them fire me not just roll over and give up. Putting in a voluntary resignation just lets them off the hook IMHO.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, read over this a bit and I have a suggestion. Get a recorder or an app on her phone that will do the same thing and strike up a conversation about everything. May help for the burden of proof part at least, otherwise even if she gets someone else to write a statement or testify it will likely be hearsay unless they are part of the management.

It sucks when places are like this and there is little you can do, though I would make them fire me not just roll over and give up. Putting in a voluntary resignation just lets them off the hook IMHO.

Except its a 2 party consent state, you have to tell people you are recording.

Well so far it has been a whirlwind from the VP wanting her gone, to the VP being relieved of her board member seat.

The president apparently did not know she was doing this, and he LOVES my wife, I am telling you, this was discrimination through and through, this vice president was taken to court just under a year ago, for having sexual relations with a SIGNIFICANTLY younger male employee, and tried to fire him when he broke it off (wised up, she is a beast), cost them quite a bit of $$$. Its all public record so no skin off the bear so to speak. Don't do the crime if you cant handle the time.

So that is the "more" to the story that people want, sorry to say its the opposite of what you might have wanted, instead of a young professional not being good at her job, she was TOO good, and threatened uppity status leeches. But when you keep quiet and do your job, sometimes maybe the people that should notice do! She gets an extra paid 2 weeks off and a nice pay bump.

It's awesome (sarcasm) how one of the only supportive people towards a woman on here, was a woman. I am not a hardcore feminist, but they should be paid and treated equally, when equal work is expected, and provided. A real man knows this. Not just my wife, but all of yours as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom