She signed it, fellas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you saying that there are EMT's out there that would allow an injured person to die rather than provide necessary medical aid just because the injured person had a firearm on them and no LEO was present to remove it?

Please. Tell me that's not what you're saying because if it is that's just seriously messed up - hell - messed up doesn't even begin to describe that - that's just evil! Any EMT so afraid of a gun that they would refuse to provide life saving care shouldn't be one.

While the irrantional fear of a gun is silly, it does not invalidate someone's skills as a medical professional.

They didn't get into it to deal with your self-defense/2A concerns, so it is best to allow them their personal beliefs as well.

My understanding is that the rationale is that an armed person, potentially in shock or incoherent, is a danger to the EMT and Paramdeic thus they wait for LE to secure the weapons. Now if an EMT or Paramedic feels comfortable securing a gun, I'm sure they will but it's not a criteria for being a medical professional.

Michael Brown

HerkyBird

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
'Bout time. In GA your carry permit was just that...a carry permit. Open or concealed was up to the individual. Military, LEO, firefighters, and DAs didn't require a permit to carry, either. Your ID is your permit. Also, your vehicle is considered an extension of your home in GA. No silly rules about how to store your firearm in your vehicle. I have to admit I was a little surprised when we moved here and noticed how restrictive some of OK's gun laws are.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While the irrantional fear of a gun is silly, it does not invalidate someone's skills as a medical professional.

They didn't get into it to deal with your self-defense/2A concerns, so it is best to allow them their personal beliefs as well.

My understanding is that the rationale is that an armed person, potentially in shock or incoherent, is a danger to the EMT and Paramdeic thus they wait for LE to secure the weapons. Now if an EMT or Paramedic feels comfortable securing a gun, I'm sure they will but it's not a criteria for being a medical professional.

Michael Brown

And if that armed person is one of your fellow Law Enforcement Officers it would be OK for the EMT to let them just bleed out rather then treat because no other LEO is there to disarm/remove the weapon?

I am not being argumentative nor facetious Mr. Brown. I am serious. Under identical circumstances except for who the armed person was would you feel the same?

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ems Services will no doubt have to review their protocols when it comes to securing firearms. I would say in the above circumstance. If EMS can determine the gunfire is over and they
enter safely. I do not know anyone that would let the officer "bleed out. " There are legal issues that would have to be worked out. If a person is injured and wearing the firearm. Who will
take control of the weapon. And secure it if no Leo is around. We have safes on the truck. So after it is made safe. It could be put there. So the weapon can be returned to the owner.
When it hits the fan. If leo is around to take control. That is one less thing to deal with. When the Grim Reaper is around it gets real Western in the back of an Ambulance.

TonyRumore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least now you'll be able to identify the complete dork wads.. They will be the ones standing around in Oklahoma Police Supply with their gun hanging out......trying to look ohhhh sooooo cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you saying that there are EMT's out there that would allow an injured person to die rather than provide necessary medical aid just because the injured person had a firearm on them and no LEO was present to remove it?

Please. Tell me that's not what you're saying because if it is that's just seriously messed up - hell - messed up doesn't even begin to describe that - that's just evil! Any EMT so afraid of a gun that they would refuse to provide life saving care shouldn't be one.

This isn't universal and I'm not casting aspersions on EMT's. Some EMS provider agencies have policies in place that their EMT's aren't supposed to enter a scene until it's secure (if weapons are present at all). The first rule of emergency response is "don't become a victim". It doesn't matter whether you're dealing with guns or downed power lines or anhydrous ammonia, you can't help the dying and injured if you become a victim yourself. Further, you just became another person to triage, while simultaneously reducing the number of qualified 1st responders available to do so.

So, if you're involved in an accident or shooting and you need medical attention, secure your weapon if you can safely do so. Emphasis on the "safe" portion of that sentence. I hope this clears things up.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
At least now you'll be able to identify the complete dork wads. They will be the ones standing around in Oklahoma Police Supply with their gun hanging out......trying to look ohhhh sooooo cool.
Why get so upset over what someone else is doing? If someone wants to hang around in front of the Cop shop it has no effect on my life.

Michael

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least now you'll be able to identify the complete dork wads..

This is the same remark the anti-gun crowd uses for anybody who owns firearms.

It's also the same remark the hippies use for anybody who has a 4x4 truck or a loud motorcycle.

It's a remark beyond ignorance and one of the last ones I expected to see here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom