Show me the rifle!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for a versatile gun that I can hunt rabbit/coyote and hog with. Obviously a .22 isn't going to take down a hog, but does fine with a rabbit. Is there a nice middle ground or am I way off base? I know there are conversion kits, but I don't know if I want to go that route, but all suggestions are welcome!

In the long run, I'm thinking I need to take two guns?

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looking for a versatile gun that I can hunt rabbit/coyote and hog with. Obviously a .22 isn't going to take down a hog, but does fine with a rabbit. Is there a nice middle ground or am I way off base? I know there are conversion kits, but I don't know if I want to go that route, but all suggestions are welcome!

In the long run, I'm thinking I need to take two guns?

I'm looking at a baikal mp94 for similar purposes. I'm leaning toward the 308/12 ga combo.

And then maybe one of these later in 22lr
http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to be taking 2 guns, either my .243 or 30/30 for the hogs/yotes, and my .22lr or .22 mag for rabbit. It will depend on which place I find has the best overall activity and the terrain. If it's going to be thick veg and short distances for hogs, I'll bring the 30/30, if it will be longer distances I'll bring the .243. I don't want to lug my .308 around really, it's not very light to dual pack guns. Also, will have a 1911 on my side at all times.

Hoping to make the calls to the area managers soon so help make a decision on where to go, and that will help on what load out to bring.

filobeto

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go with a 22-250 bolt gun. The cost of ammo on rabbits would be high but it would work. light grain fmj for rabbits and heavy bullets for hogs. This was my daily hunting trip in my teens and 20s. I used a .222 and it worked well. My best friend had the 22-250 and it worked better. .223 with the right bullet works fine for hogs and the rabbit ammo is cheap.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20140120_222618.jpg
It is not possible to have overkill!

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another 22-250 fan. You can always use reduced loads for small game.

Can it really take down a hog? And I'm not talking about from a stand or blind, I'm talking about , "oh jeez, there's a hog!" either in the bush or maybe in the open. I would want to be confident, with the right load, that I could down it instantly.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to be taking 2 guns, either my .243 or 30/30 for the hogs/yotes, and my .22lr or .22 mag for rabbit. It will depend on which place I find has the best overall activity and the terrain. If it's going to be thick veg and short distances for hogs, I'll bring the 30/30, if it will be longer distances I'll bring the .243. I don't want to lug my .308 around really, it's not very light to dual pack guns. Also, will have a 1911 on my side at all times.

Hoping to make the calls to the area managers soon so help make a decision on where to go, and that will help on what load out to bring.

I haven't decided on my 1911 or hi-point. Maybe get a cross-draw vest..1911 on my left side, hi-point on my right. .380 in my boot. :)

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For shame, Doc, huntin' rabbits with an elephant gun!

Well he said "Show Me The Rifle!" So I showed one I have pics of.

I would get an over and under that has a 20 or 12 gauge on top of a .22LR barrel. You can carry a pocket full of .22LR and a handful of slugs for the man eating hogs. You can carry a few bird shot shells for whatever else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom