Show me the rifle!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That would be 30 min before & after sun up & sun down? Or is it dusk/dawn?

I believe it's legal sunrise to 30 min after legal sunset, but someone more familiar with this area of the ODW regulations may be better to answer this.

This is damn good information! So I guess 22mag is the best night time varmit caliber for our state laws. Thanks for teaching me something Aviator.

I'm glad you learned something. this is directly from the OKDW websites page on fur bearer regulations guide. Keep in mind that these regulations are for fur bearers only. Coyotes are not considered fur bearing animals here, they are predators and should be hunted according to those regulations (and with the proper amount of zeal, I might add).

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Daylight only: Any legal firearm or archery equipment.

Nighttime only: Hunters may possess a .22 caliber rimfire rifle or .22 caliber rimfire pistol and a light carried on the person while in pursuit of furbearers with hounds during the legal, open furbearer season, while possessing a valid hunting license, unless exempt.

And from this comes the great, extreme, overdue need to overhaul Oklahoma's trapping regulations............no after dark shooting of fur bearing animals while checking traps.

If I take some hounds and tree a cat or coon I'm good...........happen upon a skunk or opossum, I'm good, but if they're in a trap, you're in violation if you pull the trigger after dark. Wonder if the original intent was to keep trappers and hounds men out of the woods at the same time? Or was that even a consideration and maybe just an oversight.

I agree with the .223 as well.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thats a good question. I always thought the law was their way of cornering those that choose to take pelts from another persons trap, since most of those kinds of things would happen under cover of darkness. I think of it as an anti-poaching regulation. I know I wouldn't approach a trap with an animal in it, at night, with it pissed off to no end, without a way to dispatch it from a distance.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK- found it :

Small Game:
Shooting Hours
One-half hour before official sunrise to official sunset.

Hogs:
Shooting Hours
One-half hour before official sunrise to one-half hour after official sunset.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK- found it :

Small Game:
Shooting Hours
One-half hour before official sunrise to official sunset.

Hogs:
Shooting Hours
One-half hour before official sunrise to one-half hour after official sunset.

The only hogs on my property are my own personal hogs that I raised and just might want to shoot for food. Just like I can go pop one of my cows at 2 am with any gun I want, I can do the same with my hogs.

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I'd go with a 223.

I've shot plenty of rabbits with it, kills them dead without doing too much damage using 55gr pills

Lots of videos on the tube of guys hunting hogs with them from helicopter. I would assume it would be just as lethal on the ground.

I've killed many a coyote using an AR running factory 223 ammo with 62gr pills

Plus the ammo is light, plentiful, and an AR platform lets you reload in the blink of an eye. 20" hbar, adjustable stock, throw a red dot on there and go

+1 other than perhaps a low power variable scope rather than a red dot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom