Show your pics of deer - 2009 ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah we figure he was on the downslope, he might have a little more spread and a little more tine length a couple year before, but he was only ever seen one so I can't confirm.
I figure he might have had about 10-15 more total inches when he was in his prime.

I've been on this place for about 12 years, the 2 others have been on it 20, plus the landowner and family has been there forever. We've seen 100's of deer come of the place, and based on that I have rough guidelines that hold true most of the time for judging solely on rack size. I have observed notable exceptions, including an 8 point 1.5 year old, but 9 out of 10 times these rules hold firm.

1.5= spike or fork, usually spike
2.5= small 6 or basket 8. sometimes still a forky.
3.5 on= most will either stay a basket rack or will fluctuate between a nicely shaped 110" and 130". Almost always 8 point perfect typical, occasionally a 10 point typical.
There are some monsters around, but they are not the norm.

3.5's and ocassionaly 4.5s will usually have pencil thin tines (see pic below for a 3.5 or 4.5 year old), the older bucks gather mass but hardly ever get more spread or tine length.

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_016_16.jpg

It does make judging alot easier than it is for you guys with the hosses. Nicely racked buck=shooter!:D

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
here's a grainy cell phone picture on the only one I ever mounted. taken in '07. it scores 145 gross and 139 net. never had it aged. this is a HUGE deer for my neck of the woods. the trail cam pic is the only deer I have seen bigger. also a picture of a persimmon tree taken this year. Between this and the acorns, I'll be lucky to see any deer this year.

Attachments

• IMG00015 4.jpg
    IMG00015 4.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG00017.jpg
    IMG00017.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG00018.jpg
    IMG00018.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 193

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahomabassin - I see a 4 strand barbed wire fence in the background of the picture. I assume that it's to keep the cows out from under the feeder, does it work? I just figured the cows would mow over a hand tightened, makeshift fence. I planned to drive 4 corner posts and stretch the wire tight. hell of a lot of work if something like that works. I don't want to have to rebuild the damn thing once a week.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tjones the 4 wire fence has worked for over 5 years. A little fence building isn't a step for a stepper. Deer go under and cows don't mess with it. A few years ago an Aoudad made a visit and he didn't tear up the fence.

deshijm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments folks. I'll post back here with any other pics I get of these if I get one on the ground. Right now I'm getting them coming to my camera at the same time every day (VERY early) and night (just after dusk). I believe they bed only a few hundred yards away from this particular camera so getting a good ambush site without spooking them is gonna be tough.

Ram_Tough_Truck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still havent seen our Monster Buck this year but this guy showed up last week. He's coming through from 8:30-8:45 three nights in a row from the same direction every time. We only got one pic of him each night on just one of the 4 cams we have in the area. He's just passing through and not eating the corn. Looking forward to pulling the cards in a few more days to see if he is still holding to the same pattern.

[Broken External Image]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats a quality 8 point. I hope you get a chance at him:D I got my camera's out last Sunday, so hopefully I'll have some pics coming up. Yes, they will be with a feeder in the background, but, what the heck, gotta stop them somehow:D

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One mre time, please - How do you post a picture on the forum? I need easy to follow step-by-step instructions for a dummy. I have a 14 point on my trail camera to post. Can I post a video?

Latest posts

Top Bottom