Sig Brace ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read nothing in that letter that states the Sig Brace has changed in their decision. The Sig Brace still if used in the capacity of its intended design does not and still does not in the letter make a AR Pistol a SBR.

Did I miss something that you all read???? I read it as nothing has changed in their mind about Sig Braces. UNLESS used in correctly. LOL! As well as long as you use a angled for grip nothing changed as well.

Who ever installs a sig brace intending to use it as designed? Nobody. Damn near everyone installs it with the intention of using it as a shoulder stock.

This ATF letter states that doing so magically creates an SBR.

Chance of getting busted, slim. Chance of government being able to prove intent, also slim. I think I'd rather just avoid the possibility altogether.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This letter was not addressed to me, therefore nothing changed as far as I know. It's all made up Internet BS. Therefore I am "legal" and not worrying about it.

Good grief. . .people act like the ATF is some all-seeing, all-knowing god. The IRS doesn't scare people as badly as the ATF does.

The ATF letter that said the Sig Brace was "legal" was not addressed to you either, so I fail to see your point.

Who ever installs a sig brace intending to use it as designed? Nobody. Damn near everyone installs it with the intention of using it as a shoulder stock.

Chance of getting busted, slim. Chance of government being able to prove intent, also slim. I think I'd rather just avoid the possibility altogether.

Well said SMS. I agree.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several of the YouTube "gun channels" claim that Sig asked them to relay that shouldering was legal. I am anxious to see what Sig has to say about it. They said that they weren't commenting on it at the time when I called and asked them the other day.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That worked for Wild Bill Clinton. ;)

I apply the same principle. I would never shoulder my AR Pistol, never. One time my son in law thought I did, but when he seen from the left side, he noticed that I only lay the sig brace up against my forearm and a air gap was between it and my shoulder. See, I stay legal.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

These letters are the only real hints to the public and local LEOs of what the ATF considers legal. They also state the exact opposite of your quote in that they go off of the design intent not whether the gun is "used properly". Agreed on your other points and this nonsense is just more justification for dumping SBR and SBS from NFA altogether. They are like a fish flopping out of water on this thing, using their current logic you could consider a plain pistol tube as a shoulder stock if you shoulder it and fire. :screwy:

See the March 5, 2014 letter to Sgt. Bradley

HonkyTonkHale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Neanderthal for locating a legal perspective, it is definitely more informed than anything I could add. I am particularly interested in the difference between modifying an AR by adding the brace and purchasing an AR with the brace added by the manufacturer. I own a Sig P516 with the SB15 brace, and I want to be able to shoot it any way I see fit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom