Sleep Apnea..who has it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a buddy that is still active duty, we served together in Japan back in the mid 90's...he was diagnosed a few years back...was told that he will get 50% disability for that when he retires...wow...he told me to go and file a claim through the VA when after my sleep study...but I don't know how they would ever consider that service connected. Anybody here done that?? The only thing I think I have that would help is the fact that I served in Atsugi, Japan during the yrs that they operated a big ass Incinerator not too far from our base....lots of reports of guys and family members getting sick now....a LOT of the guys I served with all have sleep apnea...and have had respiratory problems off and on over the yrs.
You may qualify because of the incinerator.
VA claims for inhaling fumes from shat burning details in Vietnam where outhouse remains were burned daily along with Trash burns in Afghanistan and the Gulf regions are being recognized for respiratory issues among veterans.
The VVA, American Legion, and the VFW lobbies are pushing that issue, and it appears to be gaining ground.
Go in, get evaluated, and take your documentation with you. Contact others in that area that have had proven issues, and take that with you to the eval. Personal issues with fellow vets in the same area carry a lot of weight.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those flakes that fell on a near daily basis in Vietnam from burning human waste, how i remember that.
Incidentally, even toddlers have sleep apnea and have to wear those confounded masks!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You vets need to join the Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
They are the Veterans lobby groups that push congress to enact laws favorable to the veterans and also have been in the forefront of pushing the reforms in the VA Health Systems. If your a victim of agent orange, trash burnings, radiation from the 50's, etc, those organizations have been your advocate to get your disability approved by presenting the evidence to back up the government's denial.
The government has always denied radiation poisoning from testing in the 50's using military personnel as test objects, Agent Orange, etc. My best buddy was in the Air Force loading agent orange on planes in the early 70's.
He and others in the same duty has experienced increased incidence of prostate cancer. He got it and beat it at his personal expense. Almost bankrupted him and he made a crap ton of money in his job.
Yet until a few years ago the .gov denied his claims.
The Veterans organizations pushed this until they finally recognized agent orange as a disability, and now he is at 90%, pissing into a diaper he has had to wear for many years before they made it right.
Vets on this forum need to join these organizations.
It's a way to support your brothers and sisters in arms and help progress the help those in need through congress to get laws passed.
The laws to help vets do not generate from congress, they develop from these grass roots organizations to support us.
Join.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well this sucks...just heard through my insurance that the request authorization for the in-house sleep study was denied...according to them, i'm not fat enough (my BMI is below 50) and my heart is good (no heart disease/failure), they said that is the only way to get it authorized....crazy. So now we have to submit another one to do the 2 day in-home study..so here is to another 2-3 week wait.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The study at a sleep center isn't an option? I went to the mercy sleep center and they had a hunting channel so I was content!

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using a CPAP for 9 years. I use a mask that covers my mouth and nose. I had no problem getting used to it. When I did the sleep study I remember that after they put the mask on me the sleep that followed was the best I'd had in years. I was disappointed I wasn't leaving with the machine.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got a call yesterday, said that my request for precertification for an at-home sleep study was approved, and that my authorization was expedited...should have it today....i'm tentatively scheduled to pick up equipment and start a 2 day home study on the 20th of this month. Keeping fingers crossed

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used a c-pap and bi-pap for about 12 years, I am 51. I have Hypopnea (a form of Apnea) I use a full face mask and O2.

I have other problems and sleep in a full hospital bed. Soon after getting the bed I would adjust it to a semi reclined position, adjust my 7 pillows and turn on my music for the night. Now being in the position I was, I have specific reasons, but it does not allow me to turn over when sleeping.

The first night I slept well, better than I had in years, I drift in and out of sleep all the time, but I got up sick. I am talking migraine and puking up kidneys type of sick, thought it was just a freak thing. The next night it happened again. I am not real smart, but soon saw that sleeping like that caused me to wake in a not so good condition.

I called my Dr and they sent out a O2 saturation meter for an over night check, the kind that just goes on the finger and records the O2 during the night. Odd how when I am awake I run 96-97% O2 on room air, but when I was sleeping I dropped into the high 50's. Dr said this is why I am waking sick. Sleeping like I was would not allow me to move around and get the deep breath I needed. So now I have O2 added to the bi-pap mask and do well enough. It really sucks when the power goes off, but I am on a list to get my power on as soon as they can due to health problems.

Not sleeping properly causes so many other things that many people do not associate to the lack of sleep. I wish more people in general would take sleeping a bit more serious.

In my picture to the left, I am now clean shaven so the mask seals better, crazy how that works. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom