So many choices, lets narrow this down.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might consider the 25-45 Sharps. It's capable of 3000 fps with an 87gr projectile, furthermore it's just 5.56NATO brass literally only necked up to accept a .257 caliber projectile, so it requires no specialized parts other than the barrel. With pills ranging from 55gr-100gr being manufactured for all kinds of different purposes, there's a lot of versatility to be had from that round. Barrels are available online through distributors, or directly from Sharps, as are reloading dies. If I could afford a "specialty caliber" AR, this is the caliber I would choose
Another one that I've never heard of. Thanks.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to consider the 25 45 Sharps new gen then go with the 257 Roberts instead. Better coefficient that that round and a great flat shooter that has been a go to deer round for eons AND a great target round still. Easy on the shoulder and will get you to 3000 fps easy and safely. I have seen two of these in Ar platforms and both owners said they were thrilled with them.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If you are going to consider the 25 45 Sharps new gen then go with the 257 Roberts instead. Better coefficient that that round and a great flat shooter that has been a go to deer round for eons AND a great target round still. Easy on the shoulder and will get you to 3000 fps easy and safely. I have seen two of these in Ar platforms and both owners said they were thrilled with them.

Maybe on an AR-10, but not AR-15.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at Dedicated Technology. I've got the 6mm DTI that is based on the 6.8 SPC Case. It is shooting 3100 fps, just short of your WSSM. There is also the 25 DTI.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.223 Works fine for me. I've killed a dozen or so deer with it. None ran over 40 yds without expiring.
I'm just building another AR for fun. Thought I'd do something different. Your link is interesting since I already load for the .243WSSM in the AR platform.
You've been gone for awhile. Welcome back!
Thank you sir!

If you want "fun" - try 7.62x39 "work" in AR platform - I have personally failed miserably - not accurate and doesn't feed 100% :(

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For whatever reason, have never been a fan of the 7.62X39 in anything. Glad you tried it and I don't have to.
The .243 WSSM hasn't been 100% reliable on feeding either. It all depends on the mag position, its a little loose in the mag well. If I put a little forward pressure on it to tilt it upward, its 100%. The 5 round mag is fine, the 10 rounder is the issue, so at least I know its mag related.
Edit: Been doing some research. My .243WSSM upper came from Accuracy systems about this time. My brass gets pretty beat up when fired. Fortunately I have Close to 500 rounds of brass. New Followers seem to fix the failure to feed issues.
Copied from Predator Masters:

Skinney, The folks at Accuracy Systems are good folks, but they don't do very many of the WSSM's. This problem that you are showing is typical in a couple of different situations: 1) The bottom bolt-lugs have not had the edge rounded. 2) The magazine either has not been modified correctly, or the magazine was not allowed to hang freely in the magazine well. 3) The geometry of how the magazine is held in the lower receiver is out of spec.

The back side of the two bottom bolt-lugs needing to have a radius on them is something that I learned the hard way back about 1000 WSSM uppers ago. The neck to shoulder ratio, coupled with the massive bolt, makes this unique to the WSSM line.

The modification to the magazine is another point. If the magazine-catch slot is not raised enough, you will get marks on your brass. Keep in mind that most of what folks are purchasing in the WSSM line is just an upper receiver. I RARELY even see the lower receiver that the upper that I build and test is going to be used on. It is not unheard of for a customer lower to be out of spec enough that I have to make magazines especially for that lower.

Bottom line: Your friend should not have had to do anything to the bolt or magazine. I'm sure I have had a bolt slip out of the shop that didn't get the radius put on the bolt-lugs, but I know it's at least a 1000 to 1 chance that it will happen. The WSSM uppers run great, shoot great, and out of all of the uppers that I have produced over the years, I have yet to have my first barrel washed out. There are many myths that follow the WSSM line, both from a bolt-action and the AR-15. Where I would starve to death building custom bolt-action rifles chambered in the WSSM line, I do a good business building AR-15's chambered in the same line.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom