So many choices, lets narrow this down.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent three hours this afternoon going through different calibers available in the AR 15 platform and barrel manufacturers.
Thought I'd found it in the .45 ripsaw, but found out its in the AR10 platform.
That's an impressive round going 2900 fps with a 185 grain bullet. Can shoot up to a 300 grain. Short to mid range round, but a thumper for sure.
I can't find anything in mid caliber range that will perform better than the .243WSSM using 100 grain.
Starting to look at .204 or big thumpers.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy had a big 500 Beowulf.
Yea it is a thumper and fits the 15 platform.. he liked the power and thump but it kicked harder than my mossberg synthetic stock 30-06.
The recovery on target after the recoil was not good.
Failure to feed issues due to the fat bullet not playing nice with the ramp.

I suppose a ramp modification would fix it or a magazine tweak.
He no longer has it .. hurt too much to enjoy.

You will be hard pressed to beat your current .243 WSSM.
Maybe just a 150- 200 yard brush buster.. that .243 has you covered in the open area's. As you know.

I like to shoot a lot and think about availability of components when I choose a weapon.. This probably is not the case for you.

You have a 338 Lapua yet? :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Decision made. It's going to be the .45 raptor.
The 45 RAPTOR is designed to shoot bullets ranging from 160 grains up to 395 grains giving end users a wide range of projectile options to meet their specific requirements. Whether that is a 185-grain JHP for target shooting or soft targets with minimal recoil, middleweight 200-250 grain bullets ideal for medium game animals such as deer or hogs or a 300-grain heavily constructed bullet for maximum energy on large game animals. In actual field hunting tests on Feral Hogs, many bullets expand to .625”-.675” and retain 60-70% of their original weight.
http://www.45raptor.com/45RAPTOR/performance/

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Decision made. It's going to be the .45 raptor.
The 45 RAPTOR is designed to shoot bullets ranging from 160 grains up to 395 grains giving end users a wide range of projectile options to meet their specific requirements. Whether that is a 185-grain JHP for target shooting or soft targets with minimal recoil, middleweight 200-250 grain bullets ideal for medium game animals such as deer or hogs or a 300-grain heavily constructed bullet for maximum energy on large game animals. In actual field hunting tests on Feral Hogs, many bullets expand to .625”-.675” and retain 60-70% of their original weight.
http://www.45raptor.com/45RAPTOR/performance/
AR-10 platform?

Latest posts

Top Bottom