Starter AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother-in-law just got his first AR.
Budget was a big factor. He's where he landed:

Spike's Lower = $85
Del-Ton LPK = $55
6 position Stock Kit = $55
These from Steve at Cold Hand Arms group buy.

Complete Lower including Tax $195

He bought a DPMS 16" 1:7 twist flat top upper at Wannemacher for $470 out the door.

Lower $195
Upper $470

Total = $665

He still needs to get a rear sight and some mags. We just put it together last night. I think thats a pretty good price on a first "starter" AR.

I guided him on how to put the LPK in, but he did the work. Now he's already talking he'd like to do another one sometime.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that chart is BS... I had a DPMS that always worked fine. It would shoot anything, even a bunck of old rusty Wolf that I found in the spare tire well of my car. I would trust my life to it any day, so take that chart and put it up your snobby elitist bum hole! M4 feed ramps are a gimmick. 93.9789% of rifles would not be helped in any way by them. Parking under front sight base? What a load of crap. How you could even fit a car under there to park I don't know. And why it matters I have no idea. Magnetic particle inspection? What a bunch of mumbo jumbo jibberish marketing BS. WTF does a magnet have to do with shooting rifles anyway.

Just kidding guys. But you started feeling all warm and fuzzy for a second, didn't you? ;)

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that chart is BS... I had a DPMS that always worked fine. It would shoot anything, even a bunck of old rusty Wolf that I found in the spare tire well of my car. I would trust my life to it any day, so take that chart and put it up your snobby elitist bum hole! M4 feed ramps are a gimmick. 93.9789% of rifles would not be helped in any way by them. Parking under front sight base? What a load of crap. How you could even fit a car under there to park I don't know. And why it matters I have no idea. Magnetic particle inspection? What a bunch of mumbo jumbo jibberish marketing BS. WTF does a magnet have to do with shooting rifles anyway.

Just kidding guys. But you started feeling all warm and fuzzy for a second, didn't you? ;)

You had me at DPMS...

Oh and since we're posting classics, here is the black panther:

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_BlackPower.jpg

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The chart is very useful depending on what you are wanting out of your rifle. I have no doubt people have bought and shot rifles not on the chart that shoot very well and have proven themselves in durability, just like I know there has to be some cases, even if very few, of brands on the chart where the rifle has failed.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The chart means something. It is educational for those new to ARs.

If you're going to be carrying it, or competing with the gun, by all means, pay for the best.

But if you're just going to plink with it, use the chart, and find the prices, and decide what you're willing to pay for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom