Stopped For Open Carry At Dog Park

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This past weekend I took my dog to the dog park at Grand and Hefner Expressway. As I drove up I noticed that there was a police car parked in front of the park and that an officer was speaking with a lady that worked there. I went into the dog park and walked past the lady and the cop. I also need to mention that I was open carrying a Glock 23 Gen 4, and I have done it at that dog park in the past. However this time, after being at the park for about 20 minutes, the same lady that had been talking with the cop when I walked in came up and told me that I would no longer be able to "carry" at the dog park, and that it was OK for today but that it would not be in the future because the cop told them that they did not have any signs posted. She said that they were going to put signs in soon. I told her that I would take my leave and she said that I did not have to, and that she herself carried. I did not stop to listen to her, got my dog, and left.

I am still going to take my dog to the dog park, and I am still going to carry my pistol, but from now on I am going to CCW it while I am there.

What are your thoughts? Is it legal to open carry at OKC public parks?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

jrgutier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Signs don't have any force of law? Who's the owner of the park to tell you to leave or else you're trespassing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That woman who takes care of the park acts like she is the owner. I've heard several people refer to her as the Dog Park Nazi. So far as I can tell, that park is public property, and as such would be specifically excluded as a prohibited place under state law. Please do all of us a favor and continue to carry open or concealed, as YOU please. I OC there regularly, and she's never said peep to me.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is this a city park?

TITLE 21 § 1277
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed or unconcealed handgun into any of the following places:
B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 4 and 5 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property:

4 Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park, recreational area, or fairgrounds; provided nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize any entry by a person in possession of a concealed or unconcealed handgun into any structure, building, or office space which is specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this a city park?

TITLE 21 § 1277
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed or unconcealed handgun into any of the following places:
B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 4 and 5 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property:

4 Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park, recreational area, or fairgrounds; provided nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize any entry by a person in possession of a concealed or unconcealed handgun into any structure, building, or office space which is specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ownership of the park is key here. If private, do as they say. If public, carry on. OKC cannot prohibit open carry in a public park, due to O.S. §21-1289.24.

Latest posts

Top Bottom