Store Robbery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
While the SDA does not give authorization to intervene on the behalf of a non family member, I'm pretty sure it gives you the right to intervene in a semi-proactive fashion if you feel your life is in danger. If a guy in the same room as I am in whips out his piece with the intent of using it to harm someone/getting what he wants he would be indirectly threatening me. If he shoots the clerk, I'll be willing to bet he would be willing to shoot me. In that case I would act and eliminate the threat.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wasn't there a situation a year or so ago, when a man and woman went full loco and started shooting up a store, and a good guy with a gun took out the man, and the woman crept up behind the good guy and took him out?

Oh, and before you do anything, make sure the bandit is working alone.

Woody

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn't there a situation a year or so ago, when a man and woman went full loco and started shooting up a store, and a good guy with a gun took out the man, and the woman crept up behind the good guy and took him out?

I think your talking about the Walmart cici pizza ordeal. Good guy never fired a shot. Woman shot and killed the good guy.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I'm in the store and the robber pulls a handgun, I personally am in danger and I fear for my life at that point. I would feel justified in pulling the trigger to defend "my" life based on that alone.

Would I do so? It would depend on the circumstances. There is a good chance the offender is not alone and his partner may also be inside or just outside. The circumstances would dictate what I would do.

I'd be really concerned why he would feel comfortable enough to pull a gun on the clerk with me standing behind him.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not read it in about 3 years, but I've been to the class twice and read the SDA book front to back a few times. It lists who you are allowed to defend. It states family like mother, father, sister, etc. and even employer (sadly, not employee) and wife, husband, child, etc. Unless they have changed the SDA lately, you are not legally free and clear to intervene on the behalf of a stranger. You may get off.. you may not. A jury may convict you, they may not. Now, if you inadvertantly have the robber turn and face you because you cleared your throat or acidentaly dropped a bag of chips on the floor, hey, now he is a threat to you. Start blasting. If you are caught on camera lining up your sights on the back of his head before he is a threat to you, you'll likely be playing canasta with that pharmacy owner doing time for pasting a guy that was no longer a threat to him. If you are not a cop, you are not free and clear to engage a criminal simply because he is doing something to somebody else.

I don't know how to play canasta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
While the SDA does not give authorization to intervene on the behalf of a non family member, I'm pretty sure it gives you the right to intervene in a semi-proactive fashion if you feel your life is in danger. If a guy in the same room as I am in whips out his piece with the intent of using it to harm someone/getting what he wants he would be indirectly threatening me. If he shoots the clerk, I'll be willing to bet he would be willing to shoot me. In that case I would act and eliminate the threat.

Go back and read the SDA. The person you protect DOES NOT have to be a family member, a friend, or even someone you know. This little bit of misinformation is constantly getting passed around, yet is incorrect. It was posted earlier in this thread - intervening to stop a forcible felony in commission is permitted.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go back and read the SDA. The person you protect DOES NOT have to be a family member, a friend, or even someone you know. This little bit of misinformation is constantly getting passed around, yet is incorrect. It was posted earlier in this thread - intervening to stop a forcible felony in commission is permitted.
Correct you are. I try to keep up with current SDA laws. Remember the new SDA handbook comes out November 1st each year. Every gun owner be it LEO or us other guys and gals need to keep up with current laws. Otherwise how will you know that it is legal to leave a gun in a car out of sight with the vehicle locked on k-12 parking lots? Or that Nov 1st this year it is legal to carry switchblade knives ?

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless they've changed something, the SDA doesn't allow you to legally intervene with deadly force. You may wind up in about as much trouble as the thief.
I would think if your here and someone pulls a gun to rob the store and you pull your gun and you end up shooting the bad guy that you would be covered under the sda. I know I would be scared crapless. I would be afraid he would turn the gun on me. I ain't gonna let that happen. And if you tried to turn and get out he might turn and blast some into your back. Running ain't very smart.

Latest posts

Top Bottom