Stuck Wheel Hub Removal Tactic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to replace the front hubs on my wife’s 2013 Subaru Outback. One of the rear ones went bad about 30,000 miles ago, so I replaced both rear ones at that time.

My wife complained about what she thought was a growling noise at certain speeds, so I decided after driving the car myself; one of the front wheel bearings was probably getting worn.

The driver’s side hub came out relatively easy with some pounding with a hammer and prying with a pry bar. The passenger side hub I could not get to budge and could not get a gap started to use a pry bar while beating the heck out of the hub. So I went to YouTube and found the video in the link found below.

I used this method and finally got the hub to budge enough to get a gap started that enabled me to insert a pry bar and finally beat the sucker out.

So, if anyone decides to replace a one piece hub/wheel bearing assembly and find it rusted stuck, you might try the trick in the video and save yourself a bunch work and frustration.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Follow up to previous post. I had to drive out the wheel lug nut studs in order to insert bolts to press the hub out. The outback hubs do not have any extra hole on the hubs.

Also, yes the passenger side wheel bearing was getting a little rough.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wish my Toyota bearings came out in 1 piece from the front.
You must remove spindle and retainer clip and press it out the back side.

Glad you got yours done.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back the bolts out some from the back but still engaged. Put a socket with an extension on the bolt head, long enough to reach something solid like the frame or similar...then turn the steering wheel and let the power steering pump do the work of a press.

Works great on Ram 2500 4x4 for sure.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brake fluid has been the 2nd best penetrant I have used and best was Rust Buster.
I used several different penetrating fluids. That baby was stuck and very rusty.

I have not installed new hubs yet. They will be here Monday. Meanwhile I am cleaning up the inside where the hubs insert with steel wool and emery cloth and the putting a light coat of grease to make re-assembly easier.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I used several different penetrating fluids. That baby was stuck and very rusty.

I have not installed new hubs yet. They will be here Monday. Meanwhile I am cleaning up the inside where the hubs insert with steel wool and emery cloth and the putting a light coat of grease to make re-assembly easier.
Grab a cheap wire cone brush for your drill from Harbor Freight and save yourself some work. Silver auto anti-seize is good stuff.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Grab a cheap wire cone brush for your drill from Harbor Freight and save yourself some work. Silver auto anti-seize is good stuff.

Yep, good idea. I think I have some in a cabinet in the garage. I hope I don't have do it again. The car has 156,XXX miles. New hubs should last that many miles or more. Using Moog hubs. Hopefully better than the factory ones.

My neighbor across the way had to change the hubs out on their 2013 Nissan and the Nissan used the same exact hubs. I;m thinking that Nissan, Subaru, Toyota and Honda vehicles may very well use some of the same parts and these hubs were not the best from the factory.

Time will tell if the Moog hubs perform better than factory.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a Subaru it saves a real problem later if you use some Neverseeze on the wheel studs/ bolts. I was on vacation in Va. and started replacing a loud wheel bearing/ hub assembly on the rear axle. I broke off one of the lug nuts because it was gaulded to the hub. So, then I thought I should check the rest of them in case we had to change a flat out on the road. I had another one that tried to gauld but, I worked it back and forth while keeping it wet with p oil. Lucky that a local NAPA had extra lug nuts for sale and a local hardware store had a nut die the correct thread. I do have a set of tools and extra parts for keeping in that car now. Subaru must have used a very similar steel for the wheel studs and lug nuts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom