Summer Pig Trapping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About this time last year I had a good run on pigs, and have noticed a sounder of large pigs on game cam for the last few weeks, so between haying and fishing we set up our big catch pen/trap next to the feeder to see what happens. I guess it is the weather conditions that are conducive to trapping for the summertime luck I've had in the past. The ground is so hard they can hardly root, worms are down deep, and mast is still on the trees, so they are coming into the feeders regularly.

I've never actually popped the cherry on this trap before, we made it late last year and have only used it as our catch pen so far, but Friday she got broke in and I found this guy in the trap.

[Broken External Image]

Checked it on my way to work and he was the only one in there, so I took a quick pic and went on in to work and was going to have one of the hands dispose of him. Hand called me about noon and said the trap was empty. Went back and looked at the game cam and originally there were two pigs in there to begin with, one escaped, then the last one escaped from the time I took the picture, till when the hand went to check it. Both were seen climbing out the top. Trap is 5' tall made out of 4"x4" panels. They got in the corners and was able to brace themselves on each side and make it over the top. This has been a concern of mine ever since we built the pen, but we've had 20 or so in there and nothing had ever escaped. We can't put a permanent top on the pen, because we intentionally built it in sections, for easy portability, and also because the trip mechanisms extend beyond the top. So we wired in some 2x4's that come about 10 inches inside the trap, so if something climbs up the side, they can't make it to the top to support all their weight and pull themselves out, instead their body weight will make them fall back in the trap. Sounds good in theory anyway. Rebaited the trap and left.

Came back this morning and had these three sows locked in. I'd put them about 100-125 each. Nice and fat, would make some good eaters. Trap isn't in the best position, as it gets sun till about noon, so I'm going to leave them in there for bait for one night, then dispose of them tomorrow. There are boars in this sounder that are 200+, so I'm hoping they will draw them into the other side of the trap.

[Broken External Image]

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's up to you! I'm doing all the catching, but if I happen to have one in the trap then and you want to do some butchering, you are more than welcome to it. I'm not planning on holding these to sell, due to lack of morning shade, so anything I catch is getting kicked off in a ditch ASAP. If you'd like, I can take one of these and go let it loose in the cabin, waiting on you next weekend? :woohoo1:

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good catch, but I would at least put some water in there. Even if you're going to pop the sucker it's not right to leave it in there in this heat with no water. Anyways, that's a sweet looking trap.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed. They have water, but even with that I don't feel right leaving them in there with no shade for an extended period. From about 8-11 am it is direct sunlight, and even though it is the early part of the day, it is freakin hot, especially if you lack the ability to sweat! I think I figured out a solution, I am going to cut cedar limbs and brush in the east side of the trap. With a good layer of limbs, they will have pretty much constant shade. I called the buyer to see what they are going for, and at $.35/lb, that is enough to motivate me into keeping them for a day or two to bait more in and sell a load. Pays for the corn at least.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a couple more sows this morn in the trap. No one has escaped, and there is about 600 lbs worth of pork in there, so I think they are getting a ride to the buyer this morning.

[Broken External Image]

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had another sow in the trap this morning, she is the biggest so far. On all the pics I got of this sounder, at least 15 hogs and there were only two small pigs under 25# or so, all the rest were big mature pigs, boars and sows. Kind of an odd mix.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom