Sustainability - A serous conversation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muskrat

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
City dwellers would be at a distinct disadvantage.
I tend to agree with this as they will have more outsiders to contend with. Do to my upbringing and trials of 60 years of life there is only one person that I trust unconditionally, My wife of 32 years. I have one daughter that has done her tour of duty in the Army but still hasn't looked down the wrong end of a firearm. I'm pretty sure I could trust her under a hostile situation but as for my wife we have looked down the barrel of a 45 being held by someone very willing to use it. I know what her reaction will be which was being calm and thinking fast. If the police were about 30 seconds later my wife would of had the drop on him and it would have been over for him. The rest of my children have never been in any life threating situation so don't know what they would do but still I'll take my chances with my family rather than a neighborhood.

sklfco:
I haven't give it much thought as to rebuilding if SHTF. Just surviving at this point of time. I am skilled in many things that would be important to rebuilding so that could be a possibility for me to do.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Honestly as i can be and say. I have zero interest in rebuilding. Ill sustain me and mine as long as i can, then we'll just do what we can, the best we can. I doubt i starve but im sure ill lose weight.

Real SHTF as in TEOTWAWKI, knobody could ever prepare for. But if its somthing like the USSR breakup, we'll do like they did and live for the day.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly as i can be and say. I have zero interest in rebuilding. Ill sustain me and mine as long as i can, then we'll just do what we can, the best we can. I doubt i starve but im sure ill lose weight.

Real SHTF as in TEOTWAWKI, knobody could ever prepare for. But if its somthing like the USSR breakup, we'll do like they did and live for the day.

This ...

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

+1, couldnt have said it better.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any thoughts on commodities like soap and toilet paper? I personally don't want to wipe my a$$ with leaves if I can help it. These thoughts are just the tip of the iceberg.. Time to start you own lists.

Yes, I do have an idea. It does mean wiping your backside with leaves, but this one is the best. There is an herb called Mullein. This is good for respiratory problems, but what is even better is the leaves make great TP. I have family land in NE, there used to be a nomadic native American homestead at one end of the property, by the stream. We found the area littered with arrow heads and relics. What we also found was a lot of native POT plants, and also Mullein. The Mullein leaves are huge, long and very tough. The top surface is very soft, feels like velvet. It is natures toilet paper. I picked some seeds and started them on my farm here last year. They take a year or so to get established, they are perennial by the way unless we get a real long hard freeze, mulch them well and they should survive here quite well. They produce seed heads on the second year.

As far a soap goes, look online as to how to make Lye.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I do have an idea. It does mean wiping your backside with leaves, but this one is the best. There is an herb called Mullein. This is good for respiratory problems, but what is even better is the leaves make great TP. I have family land in NE, there used to be a nomadic native American homestead at one end of the property, by the stream. We found the area littered with arrow heads and relics. What we also found was a lot of native POT plants, and also Mullein. The Mullein leaves are huge, long and very tough. The top surface is very soft, feels like velvet. It is natures toilet paper. I picked some seeds and started them on my farm here last year. They take a year or so to get established, they are perennial by the way unless we get a real long hard freeze, mulch them well and they should survive here quite well. They produce seed heads on the second year.

As far a soap goes, look online as to how to make Lye.

Interesting, the Mullein. I may have to check that out. As for the soap, I really meant it as a question to ponder. lye soap isn't too hard to make, just caustic as hell. It would do In a pinch, tho. I'm a pretty firm believer in maintaining cleanliness. I think it is really a great morale booster in stressful situations. As a result of that belief, I probably have overdone the soap preps that I have. It's cheap, and probably a good barter item Ina long term situation.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Really what im saying is, if our world falls apart, im not into rebuilding the old world or a new world. I'll just deal with whatevers dealt to me.

As for TP or growing your TP, its been my experience that during times of prolonged extreme stress, poop is either really hard or watery. So ive developed a squating technique for both. For either hard or watery the wipeing technique is the same; sit your naked butt right on the ground and scoot along about 4 feet. Kinda like a dog scoots when he has worms.

Or you can poop near a water source and just wash your hands afterwards. Dirt and mud does a good job but im never sure whats clean mud.

Has anyone ever lived solely on rice for a month? You dont poop for days, same with high protien diets, no pooh for days n days. Bad water(or wine) is common during shtf situations, we know that blowouts occur for that reason. Again, the scoot works.

In boot camp many of us didnt poop for days, that made things even more stressfull.

In the end i will say this, if your growing your own TP or poop plants, you are by far putting way more thought into sustainable prepping than i ever have.

My hat is off.

PS i have been known to be full of pooh, but my butts clean. Lol.

***disclaimer***
I am not a poopologist nor have i studied the science of wipeing, I have, however, witnessed several inhabitants of third world countries and observed their squating tecnique. No wipeing was ever observed.

Please do what works best for yourself.

Last edited:

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really what im saying is, if our world falls apart, im not into rebuilding the old world or a new world. I'll just deal with whatevers dealt to me.

As for TP or growing your TP, its been my experience that during times of prolonged extreme stress, poop is either really hard or watery. So ive developed a squating technique for both. For either hard or watery the wipeing technique is the same; sit your naked butt right on the ground and scoot along about 4 feet. Kinda like a dog scoots when he has worms.

Or you can poop near a water source and just wash your hands afterwards. Dirt and mud does a good job but im never sure whats clean mud.

Has anyone ever lived solely on rice for a month? You dont poop for days, same with high protien diets, no pooh for days n days. Bad water(or wine) is common during shtf situations, we know that blowouts occur for that reason. Again, the scoot works.

In boot camp many of us didnt poop for days, that made things even more stressfull.

In the end i will say this, if your growing your own TP or poop plants, you are by far putting way more thought into sustainable prepping than i ever have.

My hat is off.

PS i have been known to be full of pooh, but my butts clean. Lol.

***disclaimer***
I am not a poopologist nor have i studied the science of wipeing, I have, however, witnessed several inhabitants of third world countries and observed their squating tecnique. No wipeing was ever observed.

Please do what works best for yourself.

First off, PICS!! Or it didn't happen!!

Second, your oficially nominated to give a demonstration at our camp out!

Third, we're filming this at camp and sending it the AFV... We will split the winnings and I'm buying TP with my share!!

Oh, yeah, your new nick name is "Scooter". Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom