Sustainability - A serous conversation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know when a buddy and I started with this whole prepping thing, we were going to limit it to our 2 families. About 3 months ago we decided that was a bad idea. You need more people. Or, at least, we feel that we do. More people to handle the day to labors and more people to protect the fruits of that labor. I for one, do not want my wife or any children to have to "fight". That doesn't mean the wife can't defend herself (better than most fellas I know) if the need arises. I just would prefer to have more able bodied men to keep her from having to.

We decided to include more of our own families and close friends. However, this is a difficult subject to bring up. The thing we are worried about most, is those that show up not having anything at all. For that reason, I have asked those that do sound interested to at least show up with X amount of food. I'm an avid shooter and so is my friend, and I feel between the 2 of us (plus his father) we have enough ammo, and firearms to supply those that do not. My biggest worry is food. I'd love to say "no food = sorry, you ain't coming", but it's not in me to do this. Definitely have a lot more to go over, learn, and discuss, but we are getting there slowly.

Also, no matter how much we prepare, I don't think I'll ever be ready... Just have to roll with it.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:lookaroun For the first time in a long, long time I am at a loss for words ...

Now that is saying something. 25819 posts, that would indicate that you have plenty of words to put down. Did we
all die and are actually in heaven now? Maybe this is the event the Mayan's were predicting as being the end of
the world, BB with nothing to say. :woohoo1:

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:NO: It looks like scooter brought this thread to a sliding stop *and we cannot* let that happen. :NO:

... However, this is a difficult subject to bring up. The thing we are worried about most, is those that show up not having anything at all. For that reason, I have asked those that do sound interested to at least show up with X amount of food.... My biggest worry is food. I'd love to say "no food = sorry, you ain't coming", but it's not in me to do this.... Also, no matter how much we prepare, I don't think I'll ever be ready... Just have to roll with it.

I agree it is a difficult subject for many reasons but it is one that needs to happen. People need to get out of their comfort zone and began to realize that sometimes bad things do happen even here in the US. The parts I emboldened, in my opinion are good traits for you to have, because if we can't keep at least some part of our humanity about us during difficult times then are we really worth saving ourselves.

:soapbox:

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think in order to keep this conversation moving forward, the thing to do would be to start a series of threads. There are already several threads that touch on this topic, but not how to take something to a truly sustainable level, if that is even possible. Eventually you can run out of anything, its my hope that I can become sustainable enough to make it until we as a society pull our heads out of our collective butts, put this 2 party political crap behind us and focus on the real challenges we face in this life.

Sustainability - Health and fitness
Sustainability - Food Storage
Sustainability - Food Production
Sustainability - Energy production
Sustainability - ???

I think this makes sense because there are so many topics and when I see a thread that has 30-40 pages, I just can't spend the time to read each and every post. Separating this down into specialized conversations should help this problem. Does this make sense, or is there a better way?

Latest posts

Top Bottom