The 10MM pistol that everyone has dreamed about owning 😉

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyaa55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a lot of cast bullets in handguns and rifles and just love cast bullets.
One thing these Hi-Points have over other say 1911 style weapons is the entry of the bullet into the chamber being more in line.

It does not force the bullet up into the top of the chamber like a 1911 and so it does not seat the bullet deeper and does not dink the nose of the bullet and does not catch on the mouth of the case upon entry if you do not crimp enough.

Crimp enough?
Yea I do not like to add a crimp to my cast bullet loads because I do not shoot hard cast I shoot powder coated softer cast like 50% clip on wheel weight to 50% soft lead.
This allows the bullet to bump up and seal the grooves quickly and the powder coating eliminates any leading.

I like to shoot on the cheap and lead is the way to go and the Hi-Point allows me to do just that with 100% reliability.
I know many here hunt deer with handguns and I have taken a deer with my 45 Hi-Point pistol.
1 shot DRT.

Now Continue the badmouthing.
For years competitors have shot soft swaged lead bullets sucessfully with 45 acp 1911s. So there is an answer. Nothing wrong with your choice. We have shot a ton of cast bullets. Soft and hard. Our cast and commercial. All with great results.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For years competitors have shot soft swaged lead bullets sucessfully with 45 acp 1911s. So there is an answer. Nothing wrong with your choice. We have shot a ton of cast bullets. Soft and hard. Our cast and commercial. All with great results.
I had to modify the entry into my 1911 to make it reliably feed my cast with very little crimp.
Taurus dropped the ball on the top of the chamber NO chamfer like John Browning's design.

A Kimber I got for a buddy had a pinched chamber from where Kimber stamped the caliber size.
Fixed that with a bit of honing.
My S&W and Blackhawk wheel guns both had pinched barrels where they attach to the frame.
Leading and accuracy was horrible with cast.

These issues should never happen but they do and these guns are not cheap like a Hi-Point.

I just feel some manufactures are living off their names.
Maybe I am just too picky on how dimensions should be.
Or maybe I got a bunch of expensive lemons.

I could send them back to the manufacturer but I should not have to ever do that if they would quality check their stuff.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For our buddy @swampratt :)

hipoint.jpg

rustyaa55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to modify the entry into my 1911 to make it reliably feed my cast with very little crimp.
Taurus dropped the ball on the top of the chamber NO chamfer like John Browning's design.

A Kimber I got for a buddy had a pinched chamber from where Kimber stamped the caliber size.
Fixed that with a bit of honing.
My S&W and Blackhawk wheel guns both had pinched barrels where they attach to the frame.
Leading and accuracy was horrible with cast.

These issues should never happen but they do and these guns are not cheap like a Hi-Point.

I just feel some manufactures are living off their names.
Maybe I am just too picky on how dimensions should be.
Or maybe I got a bunch of expensive lemons.

I could send them back to the manufacturer but I should not have to ever do that if they would quality check their stuff.
Understand your frustration. Think that is unacceptable. Shot multiple revolvers and semis very sucessfully. Great with cast that we could choose diameter. BILL WILSON wrote that it is CRITICAL to remove all traces of copper from barrel or expect severe leading. After cleaning we use TUFF OIL GUNCOAT. After shooting boxes of lead bullet ammo the bore is still clean and can see that oil IN the metal inside barrel. YMMV Stay safe and have a blast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom