The EDC Flashlight Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
in no particular oder: Barbolight, Surefire M6, M4, U2. Li14430/Larry light, Arc 4, Mr. Bulk Lionheart, Arc LSHP, Arcmania KJ
img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_ki20shootout.jpg

That M6 is still one of my grail lights. :w000t:

I use a Streamlight Microstream. Single AAA battery.

I carry one every single day. It's only 27 lumens, but it throws damn near as far as any of my high lumen lights! I can easily light up a target at 50 yards...it's just not uber bright.

I've got a new one in the mail as we speak...

i568.photobucket.com_albums_ss123_aklinger74_L4a.jpg

i568.photobucket.com_albums_ss123_aklinger74_L4c2.jpg

i568.photobucket.com_albums_ss123_aklinger74_L4b.jpg

I didn't even know that Surefire had a 170 lumen version of the L4. It's not listed on their website. I had one of the old school 100 lumen L4s. It was awesome...just not quite enough throw. I'm hoping this one will rock the house! :rubhands:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bumping an old one to say that I just picked up one of the coolest flashlights I've ever owned via Batteryjunction.com 's Mardi Gras sale for $25. It's a Nitecore SENS CR.

ep_yimg_com_ca_I_theshorelinemarket_2249_11257749_.gif

http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-sens.html

Nitecore's SENS models are one of those flashlights that seems gimicky at first, but when you use it - it becomes very obvious that these features were designed by folks who use flashlights.

The SENS CR (mini light / uses 1x CR123 High/Med/Low=190/60/20 Lumens) is unique in that it has a sensor in it that determines the angle it's at when you turn it on - parallel with the ground (0 degrees) when you turn it on and it's on High. 45 degrees (towards the ground) and it's on medium. 90 degrees (straight down) and it's on low.

Turn it on at a 90 degree angle straight up and it comes on in auto sensing mode. Starts off in high mode, but if you turn it down at the ground (45 degrees) it goes into medium automatically and if you point it straight down it goes into low.

Now think about that for a minute. You're reading something and that 190 Lumen blast is too much - on auto mode, it dims down to 20 Lumens when you point it straight down. You're looking for something out in front of you on the ground and you want more than 20 lumens, but you don't necessarily need 190 - bam, there's 60 Lumens to find that Lantern-Wick you lost around the camp site. Something making noise in the woods - just point and bam -190 lumens to see what's out there lurking and potentially trying to steal your food.

The angles are pretty forgiving - steeper than about 55-60 degrees and it goes into 20 Lumens. Anywhere close to horizontal and you get 190 Lumens. It seemed like something I wouldn't like when I was reading about it, but I thought "what the heck - it's only $25" and I'm very pleasantly surprised by this little light.

Very highly recommended.

Last edited:

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have carried a stream light pt 2l for about two years now and love it. Battery like is fairly good. My only two gripes are the pocket clip will snap off however I lost one and called stream light and they sent me two for free. I super glued one o them on and that worked for about 6 mo. And lost that one. But I used j b weld the second time and it seems to be working well. The other is ill bump or press the switch sometimes and run my torch dead. Wish it was a little tougher to activate. Other than that its been a fantastic investment. Never knew how much I'd use one till I starred carrying one every day.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep it on my keychain...dont lose my keys anymore.
View attachment 21882

That is funny stuff right there. ez bake, I luv ya bro', but you have a problem. Maybe OCD? Ha! I can imagine the interdiction..., but no one could see anything because they would all be blinded! Nice lights. Anybody out there still have an old Pentagon? My edc is an e1b in black.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a comeback, but then I had to look up interdiction on dictionary.com and it hurt my self-confidence so I'm going to buy another flashlight to make me feel better (and obviously... another knife).

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jetbeam PC10 for me. Throw is not bad, just because it's so damn many lumens :D Really is more of a flood with brute force. They claim 550 with a 3.6 volt RCR123, but I only have the 3.0v in there. I'd guess it's high 200s pushing 3. Really it's plenty.

I keep an old 3D Mag-Lite at home, converted to 4C with some schedule 40 PVC. LED drop in conversion from TerraLux, and a cheap aspherical lens from Hong Kong. Some scoch tape to help keep the lens far enough from the LED to get at least some modicum of half-assed focus. 140 lumens but throws several blocks over. Great for spotlighting.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fly most weeks on business and am going through security all the time. So, I'm pretty limited on what I can carry for self-defense. I regularly find myself in strange cities and dark hotel parking lots. For the last two years, I've carried a 4sevens Quark Tactical in my briefcase. I've never had to shine it in someone's eyes, but I've had it in my hand and ready twice. And, the TSA has never shown any interest in it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom