Traditional Archery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am toying with the ideal of getting a traditional setup (preferably on the cheap). Also this forum is kinda dead during the off season, so lets hash out the good, the bad, of bows, and all other equipment.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your in luck. If your interested in getting into traditional archery, you have to make it to the OJAM. Its from March 19-22. Your won't be dissapointed. Its put on south of Stillwater and it free to attend.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a new model Bear Super Kodiak (50#) with a flemish twist fast-flite string, beaver balls and leather glove 3 fingers under. Like all my guns, it shoots way better than I am capable of making it shoot.:wink2:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Martin makes some good bows at a reasonable price, the X-200 is pretty good bow for the money, the grip on them is too big for me but they are a good bow if they fit you.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Growing up I had a Bear that was set up to bow fish. I sure had a lot of fun with that set up. During my college years I left it at a friends house and he moved and we lost contact--no more bow.

I have thought about getting another traditional bow because like a lot of things I have been enjoying the simplier things lately.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought Martin X200 from Sportsman - beautiful bow. I need a lot of practice, but I'm planning to do mostly archery through hunting season this year.

I would really like to have someone help me with basics of traditional shooting - I am very inconsistent :(

Reserve20

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey! It's good to see a few recurve shooters on here. I myself have shot them since I was old enough to string one. I sold my compound bow, and now all I have is 3 recurves. I plan on hunting with my recurve this next season if I get some time. Cap'n

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting back into archery, and thinking about a recurve this time. I stumbled on a forum that is devoted to traditional archery, but has a lot of stuff on modern recurves with metal handles - - lots of adapting olympic target shooting ideas to hunting. They have a guy who takes handles from old compounds and converts them recurves using olympic archery limbs, too. Anyway, lots of interesting stuff at tradtalk.com

jej

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well I traded okiewhitetail for his pearson predator recurve. It's a nice bow and I finally got out to shoot it a little bit today. I just rounded up some old arrows that I had laying around and took my block target out to the back yard. Besides the fact that all of the arrows shoot differently I can put them all in the block fairly consistently from 8 to 15 yards. I backed up to about 25 and put the better flying arrows into the target several times each(the ones that don't fly so well were put into the privacy fence lol). It's a blast to shoot. I gotta get an arm guard and some arrows. Shot until my form started suffering from fatigue, not having 70% let off is a little bit of a change.

If there is anyone in the Wford area that is into trad archery and would be willing to get together and shoot sometime I would love to pick up some tips. There is a 3d archery shoot here in town but I work every weekend that it is held.

Latest posts

Top Bottom