Traditional Archery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Traditional archery is a lot more challenging and, IMO, more fun! I started shooting recurves and longbows about 7 years ago and have only shot half a dozen arrows through my compound since then.

An old friend of mine, and one of the best shots I knew once told me that the average traditional shooters can shoot on par or better than a compound shooter for about 12 shots. After that your groups will start to open up because instinctive shooting requires so much concentration. Try to shoot only about 30 min. at a time and really focus on form and follow through. What is the poundage on the bow and the spine of the arrow?

Try to make it to the traditional shoot at McAlester this year, usually the first weekend in August. It's the biggest one in the area, draws people from the surrounding states and is a great way to get some good advice.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my uncle makes long bows with bodark. they are so much more fun and challenging than compounds. i have killed 6 squirrels, 1 mouse, 1 cat, 2 dogs, and numerous bull frogs with my bows. yet i can't seem to hit a deer to save my life. my uncle made me a new bow for my 22 b-day, but i haven't got to shoot it yet.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai565.photobucket.com_albums_ss92_apple17883_068.jpg
ai565.photobucket.com_albums_ss92_apple17883_067.jpg

my stick bows

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would start off getting some cedar arrows. Just get them spined to your bows weight. You can check some out at threeriversarchery.com or fsdiscountarchery.com.

I still shoot cedars. Alot of guys shoot carbons out of their traditional gear....thats just not very traditional.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wood arrows are bought according to spine (usually marked in five pound sets) i.e. you could probably shoot arrows spined either 45-50 or 50-55. It just kind of depends what your bow likes. I would guess for aluminum a 2016 would be a good place to start. 1916s or 2018s might work as well. I have no idea about carbon arrows.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Starting out, I'd get aluminum arrows. You'll be more consistant and have more fun learning. Later, then you can dabble in wooden arrows. Believe me, you don't want the headache of wooden arrows when just starting out.

I used to sit with a friend that would get wood shafts in the bundle. 100 shafts to a bundle. Then we'd sit down and start the process of finding the straight ones. On a good day, we might get 2 to 2.5 dozen out of the 100. Then you have to make them into arrows.

I don't trust already made up wooden arrows. I've seen too many cases where you might get 3 or 4 arrows per dozen that flew right.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I think I am going to go carbon. I know its not the most traditional way but I don't have the money to replace bent aluminum arrows all the time. I have carbons from 5 years ago that still fly straight.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree on the aluminum arrow thing. Wood arrows are not consistent and break easy. You get a lot of time in them and money now days. I started the trad hunting last year and that is all I hunted with this last bow season. I would definitely have killed more deer with a compound but I have taken somewhere around 25 over the years with bows and am just ready for more of a challenge. It is a lot of fun to just grab the recurve, put on the glove and walk out into the yard and shoot judo points at stuff. I like to kick an old basketball around and shoot at it on the move. It is just more fun to me lately. I may go back to compounds some day but right now am happy with the recurve. I'm shooting a Black Widow SAII Greybark. 62" 47#@27". I just bought a Northern Mist long bow last week to try out but have not had much time to shoot it yet. If you buy good quality trad bows used, you can try them and usually get your money back if you take good care of them. Traditional takes lots of time to master, which I have not done yet, but I try to shoot at least a few arrows every day, even if by the driveway lights at night.

Latest posts

Top Bottom