Trail Cam Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here’s one off a Spartan with a screen facing north in the same pasture about 150 yards from the Tactacam.
IMG_2845.jpeg

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@tynyphil
Here’s a picture from this morning. That’s a Tactacam SK with no screen, and it’s sitting in the middle of a field facing west. It rained yesterday, and the humidity is very high this morning. There’s dew on everything.
View attachment 507081
IMG_5138.jpeg

Here’s a pic I got sent to me a couple days ago from my camera sent to Tactacam for repairs. 😂 seems to be working good. Supposed to arrive back to me today. Impressive 1 week in and out. Charged me $20.

Yours looks like what mine was doing. Will be interesting to see if anything changes

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 507093

Here’s a pic I got sent to me a couple days ago from my camera sent to Tactacam for repairs. 😂 seems to be working good. Supposed to arrive back to me today. Impressive 1 week in and out. Charged me $20.

Yours looks like what mine was doing. Will be interesting to see if anything changes
Mine is just dew and will burn off when the sun comes out, and I forgot to mention the Spartan is in a “cage” to keep the neighbor’s trespassing cows from tearing it up. I’m fairly sure that protected it from the dew this morning.
Keep us posted on how this situation turns out.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is just dew and will burn off when the sun comes out, and I forgot to mention the Spartan is in a “cage” to keep the neighbor’s trespassing cows from tearing it up. I’m fairly sure that protected it from the dew this morning.
Keep us posted on how this situation turns out.
Tactacam had previously advised me to use Rain X wipes to take care of external dew issues but that did not seem to make a difference.....I could see some internal moisture on the lens still after wiping it externally.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tactacam had previously advised me to use Rain X wipes to take care of external dew issues but that did not seem to make a difference.....I could see some internal moisture on the lens still after wiping it externally.
There’s a bunch of methods to supposedly keep moisture off camera lenses, but of the ones I’ve tried, none have worked. I look at it this way. If I park my truck outside, it’s going to get dew on it no matter what I do short of covering it up. There’s a guy on eBay that sell a little attachment covers for Tactacams to supposedly shade the lens, but I’m not willing to gamble the money to try one.
Here’s a picture of it.
IMG_2848.png

Last edited:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far the repaired camera has been crystal clear with no moisture issues morning or night. All they did to it was open it up and clean the lens. I did re-install it pointing a different direction ( to NE rather than SW ). It may have taken a "hit" from a very violent storm we had a few weeks back.......80-90 mph winds directly into it's 'face'. We had a lot of tree damage from that storm as well. However, if I remember I was having issues somewhat earlier than that. More time will tell.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There’s a bunch of methods to supposedly keep moisture off camera lenses, but of the ones I’ve tried, none have worked. I look at it this way. If I park my truck outside, it’s going to get dew on it no matter what I do short of covering it up. There’s a guy on eBay that sell a little attachment covers for Tactacams to supposedly shade the lens, but I’m not willing to gamble the money to try one.
Here’s a picture of it.View attachment 507589
I bet you could make one of those with a piece of gutter and rubber grommet pretty easy.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like retrieverman. I’m not sold with how effective they would be. Also a lot of my cameras are for security as much as game. I think the covers would make them less stealthy. Once a camera dies I hang it out in plain sight just to make an intruder a little more antsy, hopefully thinking “ good grief, there are cameras everywhere “

I bet you could make one of those with a piece of gutter and rubber grommet pretty easy.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Only time I had issues with this is when I have north facing cams and no breeze could blow on the face to help with dew, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom