Transporting firearms to and from range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I got into a discussion at work today and didn't really know the correct answer so I thought I would ask here. We were talking about how you are legally supposed to transport your guns to the range. When I take my guns to the range they are all in hard cases, all unloaded with slides or bolts open. All my ammo is in boxes in my range bag. One of my co workers asked me if that would be considered concealing your weapon. I didn't think it was but started thinking about it and thought I would ask. I think that the way I transport my guns is the safest way possible but was curious what the legal way actually was. I was curious if someone could chime in with the legal way. I drive down i35 everyday and always see someone pulled over getting searched and I would like to know what my options are if that were to ever happen to me. Thanks.

Colt

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps this will help:

TITLE 21 § 1289.7. Firearms in vehicles

FIREARMS IN VEHICLES

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

ROON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a search before I posted this and saw about the "open" part but it didn't specify about carrying it in a case designed for firearms. Ive got another question though. What counts as a unloaded firearm? If the slide is open but there is a loaded clip in the same case is that still considered unloaded. I used to do predator competitions when I lived in Texas and would drive from spot to spot with my AR15. The gun was in a case but I kept one clip loaded (out of the gun) in the case with it.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
“open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

Note "OR" means you have to meet any one of the list of requirements, not all of them.

What counts as a unloaded firearm?
It is never legal (or safe) to transport a long gun that is "chamber loaded." CHL holder may atransport a long gun "magazine loaded" otherwise no ammunition in any part of the gun. OK has no law regarding transport of ammunition either in boxes or magazines not iserted into a gun
Read the actual SDA for OK firearms laws, not summaries or opinions: http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2010.pdf

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A common misconception even among LEOs and most people is that the gun HAS to be in the trunk and the ammo has to be far away. However the law (from what many of us on here have read) doesnt say that at all. You dont have to carry with the slide locked back, just make sure it doesnt have a loaded magazine in it or a round in the chamber. I carry my mags loaded to the range in my bag and some in the gun case. I have also heard some guys on here who dont have ccw permits carry their handguns in their car with a magazine rubberbanded to the side of the grip.

Carry legally and whatever makes you most comfortable. If you get pulled over the FIRST thing you do is let the officer know that you have a weapon in the car and say it as SOON as possible and you are good to go as long as you are carrying correctly.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2010.pdf <--- is a link to the SDA handbook or if you google "oklahoma sda handbook" you can go through the government website and get there.

iRIGHTi

Marksman
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something here, if the firearms are in a locked compartment, say the trunk of your car or the bed of your truck under a locked cover, and the officer doesn't have probable cause or exigent circumstances to merit a warrant-less search, you have the constitutional right to say nothing. The officer can ask to search the vehicle but you do not have to give them permission to search. They would have to get a warrant if they wanted to take a peek.

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something here, if the firearms are in a locked compartment, say the trunk of your car or the bed of your truck under a locked cover, and the officer doesn't have probable cause or exigent circumstances to merit a warrant-less search, you have the constitutional right to say nothing. The officer can ask to search the vehicle but you do not have to give them permission to search. They would have to get a warrant if they wanted to take a peek.
Correct.

Latest posts

Top Bottom