Transporting firearms to and from range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding of the law is contrary to the two last posters. Here is an excerpt of the actual law regarding transportation of firearms and alerting LE.

"It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession
of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person first
comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal
law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. No person shall
be required to identify himself or herself as a concealed handgun licensee when no handgun is in the
person’s possession or in any vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger.
Any violation of the
provisions of this subsection shall, upon conviction, be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding
Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed ninety (90)
days, or by both such fine and imprisonment."

"Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize a law enforcement officer to inspect any weapon
properly concealed without probable cause that a crime has been committed."

sda handbook page 3 click here

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first sentence in the first quoted paragraph is obviously very important but the sentenced I underlined makes it obvious (at least to me) that if there is a gun in the vehicle let LE know or if not hold your peace.

The last quote addresses searches and warrants somewhat. They cant inspect the weapon without probable cause but you STILL have to let them know its there.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I was a kid we would just openly carry our firearms through town on our way to the river to do some shooting. Back then the Cops told us they had to be out in the open. I used to even carry my rifle slung over my back when riding my motorcycle down the highway to go hunting.

Michael

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first sentence in the first quoted paragraph is obviously very important but the sentenced I underlined makes it obvious (at least to me) that if there is a gun in the vehicle let LE know or if not hold your peace.

The last quote addresses searches and warrants somewhat. They cant inspect the weapon without probable cause but you STILL have to let them know its there.

The section you are referencing only applies to those carrying under the SDA as a permit holder. This does not apply to the average Joe who gets pulled over while travelling to the range with a rifle in the trunk. Courtesy to the officer? Sure. But not required...

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The section you are referencing only applies to those carrying under the SDA as a permit holder. This does not apply to the average Joe who gets pulled over while travelling to the range with a rifle in the trunk. Courtesy to the officer? Sure. But not required...

This.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Read the rest after "any person"....any person is qualified with the statement "in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the SDA".

It specifically refers to possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the SDA which is enbodied in 1290 sections 1 through 26. If you don't have a permit, and are carrying an unloaded pistol, cased in your trunk you are not carrying concealed pursuant to the SDA, therefore it does not apply to everybody. The SDA handbook can be misleading because it has other applicable laws in it...but those laws are not part of the actual SDA.

1289.7 Firearms in Vehicles sets the conditions we are talking about and there is no notification requirement under that section. 1289.7 is NOT part of the SDA.

Under what other statute are you claiming a requirement for a non-permit holder to notify an LEO of a cased/trunked unloaded firearm in the vehicle, because this one doesn't require it?

But, all that legal mumbo jumbo aside, I too err on the side of caution and courtesy to the boys in blue and would/do notify regardless.

Last edited:

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always thought that gun in trunk and ammo up front or visa versa was ok. It would really be hard for a COP to charge you with carrying a unloaded weapon where you would have to drive and get ammo or gun from trunk.

I know somebody is going to ask part 2 so here it is.

For Trucks put the Firearm behind the seat and LOCK the ammo in the glove box or you can put the ammo in a ammo can in the Bed. If you feel it might be stolen then put the ammo can inside the truck when you are on private property.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always thought that gun in trunk and ammo up front or visa versa was ok. It would really be hard for a COP to charge you with carrying a unloaded weapon where you would have to drive and get ammo or gun from trunk.

I know somebody is going to ask part 2 so here it is.

For Trucks put the Firearm behind the seat and LOCK the ammo in the glove box or you can put the ammo in a ammo can in the Bed. If you feel it might be stolen then put the ammo can inside the truck when you are on private property.

This is unfortunately typical of the misinformation going around that has no basis in OK law. People coming into CHL classes will actually sit and argue even with the text of the statute in front of them.
1. There is no restriction how you carry the ammunition when it is not in the gun. You can pile the front seat with boxes of ammo if you want.
2. DO NOT hide the gun behind/under the seat, because it is illegal in OK to conceal the gun in the passenger compartment, loaded or unloaded. Either the gun or the case containing it must be wholly or partially visible.

3. The CHL exempts the holder from 2 prohibitions: CONCEALING the handgun, and LOADING the gun(magazine only for long guns).

Latest posts

Top Bottom