Trap line in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a noob trapper. Just ordered some traps. Just so I'm clear the state requires offset jaws? I didn't know that. I ordered a Duke #3 and some of the DP coon cuffs. I guess I will have to send my #3 back and exchange it for an offset one. If I'm going after coons and bobcat do I need any special tags/licenses and are there trapping season dates I should be aware of?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a noob trapper. Just ordered some traps. Just so I'm clear the state requires offset jaws? I didn't know that. I ordered a Duke #3 and some of the DP coon cuffs. I guess I will have to send my #3 back and exchange it for an offset one. If I'm going after coons and bobcat do I need any special tags/licenses and are there trapping season dates I should be aware of?

Lot of questions and I am on my phone so I might leave some unanswered.
To offset your trap, you can weld a little bead on one jaw or wrap a few wraps of wire around to cause it to be offset. Traps will need to be identified with your name unless on your own property. You can attach this on the anchor chain.
Season is December 1- February 28th.
A hunting license, trapping license and fur license are all required unless exempt.

All this can be found in the hunting regulations. http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/furbearer-regulations/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The "offset regs" in Ok do not specify how much the jaws have to be offset. Just offset.

Your legal wrapping a paper clip wire around the jaw, or some copper wire. We discussed this earlier, and a GW checked in with this information.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the info guys.

Thanks for the link Oklahomabassin. Lots of stuff I didn't know in there.

One more question... Do I have to "gut" a bobcat or coon like a deer or can I just throw it in the freezer until I'm ready to sell them? I have a family member who knows a guy that takes critters to Kansas to sell them so I figured I'd keep mine and let him take them up there for me.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No cutting at all. You want to preserve that fur in the best shape possible. .22 round to the head. Some even rinse blood, dirt etc off. I found that a head shot and then keeping the head lower than body will keep blood off the body. The body hide is what they want. Freeze em whole and uncut. If possible, try and keep bobcats stretched out, if they curl up and are still hard frozen, the fur buyer can't see the belly hair.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it necessary to dye and wax my new traps?

I haven't did mine. Many trappers like to spray paint there coon cuffs white. Many who have trapped for years, have determined white coon cuffs out perform other colors and bare metal.
Leg holds are often covered lightly with dirt, so it is not as much for looks as it is to prevent rust and help with scent.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The dye won't stick to the trap unless there's some rust on it. If you're after coyotes or doing water sets for coons or beaver, you'll benefit from wax, otherwise it's not nessessary IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom