Tulsa police chief against open-carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think Id be real comfortable with open carry. I know the responsibility of open carry and the presence of mind that it requires to protect your weapon in open carry situations. To be honest if you were out in the mall with your family and your kids are being kids and running around and your watching your surroundings and everything else is going on I'd like to take that one element out of the equation. aside from that, how many of you have something other than single retention holsters?

although I am allowed to open carry I often opt to carry concealed. I prefer being able to blend in and not have to worry as much about weapons retention as you do in open carry.

I am in agreement that if open carry is passed you will see more anti-gunners come to the surface.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"That just doesn't make me feel real comfortable," he said.
And he goes on to paint a picture of Mad Max bikers in Arizona.

This language coming from the Tulsa Chief of Police will do a lot of damage to the chances of open carry passing. It needs to be directly countered.

Something like, "As a store owner in the bad part of town, open carry would make me feel much more comfortable. Why can't I exercise my constitutional right to open carry?"

It would be most effective if there was a prominent person to say this and get quoted in the paper. I think that's part of the problem - we don't have a prominent person openly in favor.

dcoop46

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can remember when Florida was going to pass open carry. Cries of 'the old west' & open warfare were shouted day after day. What actually happened? Less crime. Have a friend in Az. & they don't go around looking for shootouts. 'Course there is always the dumba** that will try something against a 'Nam vet with a .45 on the hip. I thought the opposition said the same stuff about ccw.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can remember when Florida was going to pass open carry. Cries of 'the old west' & open warfare were shouted day after day. What actually happened? Less crime. Have a friend in Az. & they don't go around looking for shootouts. 'Course there is always the dumba** that will try something against a 'Nam vet with a .45 on the hip. I thought the opposition said the same stuff about ccw.

FL is not an open carry state: http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html

The history you are citing comes from their original concealed carry law consideration and passage through the legislature.

bobcat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
And he goes on to paint a picture of Mad Max bikers in Arizona.This language coming from the Tulsa Chief of Police will do a lot of damage to the chances of open carry passing. It needs to be directly countered.

Something like, "As a store owner in the bad part of town, open carry would make me feel much more comfortable. Why can't I exercise my constitutional right to open carry?"

It would be most effective if there was a prominent person to say this and get quoted in the paper. I think that's part of the problem - we don't have a prominent person openly in favor.

Why does everyone always have to pick on us "motorcycle enthusiasts" ?
i call for a vote on a new scapegoat!

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a BIG downside however and that is going to be the reaction to it from stores, etc. I have the bad feeling that there would be a serious number of the ineffective gun buster signs going up everywhere. My ultimate fear is that open carry could backfire and stores would have a real way with punishment of excluding you from carrying concealed or not, similar to the dreaded 30.06 signs in Texas. I much prefer the gunbuster sign that has no legal weight except they can ask you to leave, which is fair enough.

Think back to when CCW passed in OK. Lots of no guns signs popped up and most were gone within the 1st year.

What makes OK so different from other states. Why does OC work in AZ with MC gangs riding with shotguns over their shoulders not an issue there but it would be in OK? Why is OC in bars in VA a non-issue (in fact until recently bars were one of the places CCW was prohibited but OC was not and CCW'rs had to uncover to enter a bar).

Why is unrestricted OC in VT which is quite possibly the most liberal state in the nation not an issue there but it is in OK.

Why?

What are our masters so afraid of? And why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom