Two ID's Seems Silly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would cost too much money to change the design of the Driver License to allow that. All the money has already been spent to make other documents in both English and Spanish.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In OK you only have to show your CCW to a LEO if you are armed at the time of contact. That in and of itself is reason enough to keep the DL and CCW seperate.

Not so; see the statute.

O.S. 21 §,Section 1290.8 - Possession of License Required - Notification to Police of Gun

POSSESSION OF LICENSE REQUIRED
NOTIFICATION TO POLICE OF GUN

B. The person shall be required to have possession of his or her valid handgun license and a valid Oklahoma driver license or an Oklahoma State photo identification at all times when in possession of an authorized pistol.

I do like the concept of the carry permit being a document separate from the DL. For ordinary photo identification purposes, i.e. writing a check, doing business at the bank, the other person does not need to know you have a permit.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not so; see the statute.
Werewolf said:
In OK you only have to show your CCW to a LEO if you are armed at the time of contact. That in and of itself is reason enough to keep the DL and CCW seperate.

O.S. 21 §,Section 1290.8 - Possession of License Required - Notification to Police of Gun

POSSESSION OF LICENSE REQUIRED
NOTIFICATION TO POLICE OF GUN

B. The person shall be required to have possession of his or her valid handgun license and a valid Oklahoma driver license or an Oklahoma State photo identification at all times when in possession of an authorized pistol.

Isn't that what I said? Armed being the key word. Unless possession means something other than within reach? Does it?

Which means if I'm walking and not carrying I don't have to show the LEO my permit. If I am driving and my weapons are locked up in the trunk and out of reach I don't have to show the LEO my permit.

DL and CCW should be seperate. You have to show your DL all the time since it has become the defacto government ID. If you put your CCW on the DL the anti's will learn how to ID it. I for one don't care to be queried by an anti who needs to see my DL for what ever reason if I am currently carrying. It's none of their business. (for those who think it is there's a currently active thread discussing that very issue - feel free to respond there)

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talked to an OCSO deputy at church this am.

My Question: If you pull me over, I'm not carrying so only give my DL, can you tell if I have an SDA Permit?
His Answer: Yes, when I run your DL, it will flash it at the top of my screen.

My Response: So, then why do you think they have two cards since you know anyway?
His Answer: Because some other law enforcement agencies don't have access to the same information in their squad car and would have to call dispatch for that info.

He seems to think that in the next couple of years smaller agencies will gain that access but for now it's needed bc not call have a system capable of that.

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^That endorsement would be on the back. Most people look on the front to make sure info is correct, not on the back.I personally have no problems with people knowing that I'm packing. What's the big deal. I see no issues with it.

Then you haven't dealt with some of the fools that I have. When you have, you will understand. You haven't spent enough time on this planet yet.

Jujen Kai

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talked to an OCSO deputy at church this am.

My Question: If you pull me over, I'm not carrying so only give my DL, can you tell if I have an SDA Permit?
His Answer: Yes, when I run your DL, it will flash it at the top of my screen.

My Response: So, then why do you think they have two cards since you know anyway?
His Answer: Because some other law enforcement agencies don't have access to the same information in their squad car and would have to call dispatch for that info.

He seems to think that in the next couple of years smaller agencies will gain that access but for now it's needed bc not call have a system capable of that.

There is a transaction that can be run through the OSBI that will confirm, deny, etc. It shows the date of issue and expiration. It is not currently automatically checked by all agencies. Generally speaking, the only time it gets checked is if the subject is not carrying his permit (That's error #1) or if they mention one but can't display it. Most of the LEO's who are handed one just look at it to see if it's you and still valid.

As to the check itself? Name and DOB (or even permit number)provided to dispatch, flip a transmit switch, and (if OSBI's computer is running at nominal speed), within three seconds it's on the screen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom