Unconstitutional but for the better good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Those who would surrender freedom in the name of safety, deserve neither." Thomas Jefferson

Roadblocks, impeding movement to 'check your papers'?

"No, Officer, I will NOT blow into your sniffer voluntarily, nor will I show my license and insurance because you do not have probable cause to stop me.". Yeah, try it and let us know how that works out for you.
I have. Oklahoma County Sheriffs are well trained.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is a checkpoint entrapment? How is it inducing someone to do something they wouldn't normally do?

OHP regularly sets up checkpoints at locations where you have no option but to go through them. If you turn around to avoid the wait in line, they come after you and assert "reasonable suspicion" for a search.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Those who would surrender freedom in the name of safety, deserve neither." Thomas Jefferson

That's actually Benjamin Franklin. The actual quote is "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

It was originally written in a letter from Franklin to the Governor of Pennsylvania on behalf of the Pennsylvania Assembly. The context of the letter was the Assembly's desire to tax the lands of Pennsylvania to provide for defense against French and Indian attacks, but the Governor was blocking the measure on behalf of the Penn family (who weren't even in Pennsylvania). In context, the quote argues for the "essential liberty" of self-governance for a legislature to provide for the necessary security interests of those it governs (in this case, the freedom of the legislature to levy a tax to provide arms for the defense of Pennsylvania).

Latest posts

Top Bottom