Vehicle End-of-Life Decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MavMatt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drive a 03 Ford p/u with 315,000 on it and it leakes/burns probably 1 quart every 1000 miles or so, but that's a lot cheaper than buying a new one. I am also a mechanic and have learned through the years that the newer the cars are the more problems you have. I'll drive my paid for junk till it locks up

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could easily be a stuck PCV valve or something else causing the oil problem.

I would do a couple things done before considering a sale.

First off get a compression tester. If it has good compression I would probably keep it.

But from a quick google search the PCV is likely the issue. After that a valve guide or seal would be the next check so I would disconnect the PCV and plug it and go for a drive with new plugs in and see how they look after a week. If they are clean the PCV is the likely problem. If they are not clean then I would pull the valve cover and take a look.

I do have to say that even if it is the guides you could likely run anti foulers or a hotter plug and be fine for a little bit.

If I was going to sell it I would look for someone who doesn't mind tinkering and has a kid who will need a car. Or a teen who enjoys hitting some shop classes and won't mind fixing the issue themselves.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you sure those plugs have been changed? That last pic looks like it has 150k miles on it because of the wear on the electrode.
Yes they have been changed (several times). Did it myself. Getting to the plugs on this car is a major PITA, so I suppose it's possible that I hallucinated the entire experience as some kind of mental defense mechanism.

Driver's side plugs are tough, but the passenger side plugs are nearly impossible unless your arms and wrists can bend in eight different directions at the same time. Sadly mine don't.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had two Fords with the 3.8 V-6. I gave up on both of them at around 150k, both while the engines were running. I've gotten over 250k out of Ford V-8's with no problems. My vehicles are well maintained, especially oil changes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom